Which one do you prefer (New Orleans Morgans)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ddddd, Sep 30, 2020.

?

Which coin do you like more? Which cost ddddd more? Which would sell for more?

1. I like the 1883-O more

2. I like the 1885-O more

3. The 1883-O cost ddddd more

4. The 1885-O cost ddddd more

5. The two coins cost ddddd the same amount

6. The 1883-O would likely sell for more

7. The 1885-O would likely sell for more

8. The two coins would sell for about the same amount

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ddddd

ddddd Member

Please use the attached poll to choose which coin you prefer.
    Also, please guess on which coin cost me more and which coin you think would sell for more.
    *The poll will allow you to make three total selections-please use that to answer each question.*

Each coin has my photo (first) followed by another photo. The 1883-O has an enhanced photo from the person who bought it from me and resold it on eBay. The 1885-O has a TruView from PCGS.

A. 1883-O NGC MS 64 Star
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

B. 1885-O ex-NGC MS 64 Star (now PCGS MS 64)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

83O: I *love* the shades of green on this coin. These colors are quite uncommon.
    Unfortunately, I really do not like the splotchy streak at the top of the obverse.

85O: I *love* the textile on this coin. This is extensive textile across the entire face of the coin, and that's rare.
    Unfortunately, the obverse is coming across as somewhat dark with the third cycle maroons. I don't think it's too dark (definitely not terminal yet), but I'm hoping the luster makes the toning shine rather than the toning dulling the luster. It's hard to tell in these pics, but it looks like the luster is somewhat subdued in the bottom right quarter of the obverse.

In the end, while the greens will garner a strong premium, I think overall the 85O would sell for more.

Morgandude11 and ddddd like this.
  4. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Other: You can keep both, not attractive at all.

TheFinn likes this.
  5. ddddd

ddddd Member

I've mentioned it on another thread (a while back), but if anyone wants to guess again, what do you think the 83-O resold for with the enhanced photos?

6. ddddd

ddddd Member

Send me all you have and I'll kindly take them off your hands (paws). :p

7. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I wish a lot more people thought like this, so that I could afford pieces like this. They are absolutely gorgeous!

Morgandude11 and CoinCorgi like this.
  9. ddddd

ddddd Member

True. But it is not so.

10. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

The toning coverage and quality of toning is about the same on both coins. Personally, I like the 83-O because I am a slave to green toning. That said, I think most people would be off put by the toning break on the 83-O and the 85-O has the addition of textile toning which will boost the price.

1883-O: $750-$850
    1885-O: $1K-$1,250

Morgandude11 likes this.
  11. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

The 1883o is a true monster. The 1885o is a high end toner. I am a total sucker for the green toning. The 85o is a little dark to be a true monster, but has nice color, and great coverage.

Selling price should be in the high 800s to $1000 for the 85o

Selling to a savvy toning buyer, the 1883 o should go in the $1200-1600 range.

12. ddddd

ddddd Member

They both have nice segments of green. The 83-O did elicit some negative responses based on the break in toning but it did sell so there were people who weren't bothered by it (including me).

Morgandude11 likes this.
  13. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

I like the 85-O much more. The only thing going for the 83-O is the neon green toning. The 85-O is much better for the grade and has a better spectrum of colors and the textile is an add on. In terms of being unique in regards to toning I think I the 85-O takes the cake easy. I also don’t like the toning break on the 83-O and also the toning from 9 o’clock to 12 just isn’t attractive. It reminds me of that purple, blue, orange often seen on Morgan’s that are AT.

14. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Both nice but I prefer the 85-o I like the overall coverage better

15. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I like the expanse of textile on the 85-O better, but the color on the 83-O is fantastic. The toning break on the 83-O does distract from it a little, but it is still major premium toning, and all that green is pretty wild.

16. ddddd

ddddd Member

Looks like the votes are fairly close.
    For me, the two were close but the 85-O slightly wins out (just like the poll as of this posting :)).

I paid the same amount for both (from the same dealer). The 83-O I sold for about $100 over my cost and the person who bought it on eBay resold it with the enhanced pictured for $2,199!

Morgandude11 likes this.
  17. Lehigh96

Wow, I'm never paying $2K for an MS64 Morgan no matter how nice the toning. You gave us the price that it sold for with the enhanced picture, but how much did you sell that coin for?

Morgandude11 likes this.
  18. ddddd

ddddd Member

975....paid 790.....netted a bit over 100 after eBay & paypal fees + shipping (had an eBay promo that capped fees at $10-which helped lower the fee from the typical 10%).

And I've seen quite a few MS 64 Morgans cross the $2k threshold. There aren't many I'd pay that much for, but some I would definitely consider.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  19. Morgandude11

There are definitely a few that cross the 2k threshold as 64s, but they have to have incredible toning at that grade, as luster is impacted. I sold a few at that level, 4 or 5, would have to look up the spreadsheet. I do think the 83o has incredible toning, so that would push it over the line. While most people would prefer the 85o, the 83o has that extra bit of pizzaz for me to make it a monster.

ddddd likes this.
  20. Lehigh96

Your buy price falls in my price range for that coin. I can’t speak for all MS64 Morgan Dollars but $2K for that 83-O is moon money IMO.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  21. Morgandude11

Yeah, the sell price is high, but not totally out of the realm of comprehension for what appears to be a monster coin. The buy price was very reasonable.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted