Which of these 1938 D nickels got the higher grade?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ValpoBeginner, Apr 25, 2018.

?

WHAT ARE THE GRADES OF COIN 1 AND COIN 2?

Poll closed May 25, 2018.
  1. PLEASE REPLY WITH YOUR GUESSES.

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Or vote "I can't risk grading a photo, because my name indicates who I am."

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Are these PCGS or NGC Graded?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ValpoBeginner

ValpoBeginner Well Known Supporter

Neither.... ICG

4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

That explains the grade and full steps

5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

The grades don't seem wrong to me, really. But neither one should be FS, unless the first one possibly. PCGS sometimes let's one by like that first one. NGC, no.

6. Paddy54

The images aren't clear enough to determine grade especially higher grades 65 and above....as a Jefferson collector who has two complete sets of ms and 1 of proofs.I can tell you now maybe pcgs...but no way ngc would these grade above a 65 going off the images provided...and no way full steps.
    And again NGC was tough on grading nickels in general....On Jeffs they were as hard as nails! And I have even broke out coins in ngc slabs and sent to pcgs for better grades back in the day.

7. ValpoBeginner

Ok. Why is their company not as genuine as the rest of the major players. They have fewer better trained graders, was my thinking in submitting my coins to them this time

I prefer to go with your earlier observation that the pictures are that of a poor quality, and that they are doing their jobs, to the degree demanded of professionals up against two global giants, with more than one hat in their ring; for instance both PCGS's and NGC's parent corporations both grade paper money. I believe that Collectors Universe, Inc., (NASDAQ: CLCT) , PCGS's parent company also grades comic books, and sports cards among other things.

My point is that at Independent Coin Graders, they just do coins, period. Same procedures but less duty to shareholders.

Don't get me wrong I am an avid collector and regular submitter at PCGS and PCGS Currency. I really like their presence at the coin shows.

So my question renains, are they (ICG) less correct at getting correct answers as to FS CERTS?

(I really WOULD like to know from someone who may have a good idea based on the sheer volume of coins observed, and probably one of the top contributors on this site.)

*I remember our first encounter shortly after I joined cointalk.... I thought you might have been a TPG grader yourself, after you correctly graded my nickel from its picture. I must admit that you made quite an impression.

And for what it is worth heres my 2 cents ...

(We may never know since CAC doesn't sticker Non-proof Jefferson nickels. )

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  8. Paddy54

Let put it this way...if I was walking the floor and there were two Jefferson nickels both a 66 fs same date, one in either pcgs/ ngc the other in an ICG ....I like to think I would buy the better coin to my eye....that said I would crack out the ICG.....
    If that was the better coin....if it wasn't I gladly pay up for the ngc or pcgs.
    I have seen way to many ICG slabs that were not what my eye would consider graded to true grade.
    I would buy an Anacs,or PCI was before ICG...
    I own 1 ICG slab and won't buy another ,and the only reason I haven't cracked out the 1 I have is I don't need the coin.
    Go to a dealer at a show and try to get a price on a ICG slabed coin.... most will low ball you because they will tell you they don't want that slab....more so than Anacs,segs,pci,or Accugrade.
    They are your coins to do as you please...however when you ask for an opinion you may not hear what you would like to.
    It has happen to every member here... at one time or another.
    I stiil buy raw coins as much as graded....and do buy the coin not the slab....you have two nice coins but they aren't full steps coins.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    ValpoBeginner likes this.
  9. ValpoBeginner

THANK YOU for taking the time to reply to my question... your experience has benefited me more than one time. I always buy the coin too. They will be herre Thursday or Friday, so hopefully I will be able to change your mind.

10. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

That explains the FS grade. Neither deserves the Full Steps designation. The only way I consider a Jefferson Nickel to have full steps is if the steps are clearly defined. Coin "A" has a few full steps and might have made FS, but the second one should not get a Full Steps designation.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  11. Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81 Well-Known Member

I really have no place to guess here as I'm still new to learning grades, but my initial thought was that coin 1 is better and would be FS, but coin 2 would not make FS. Guess ICG thought they should both get it.

12. Paddy54

I won't change my mind on ICG and their poor grading practices or the fact they are not full steps nickels...Try selling them to a seasoned dealer.... I'll bet they won't pay F S money ...for them..

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  13. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Here are the guidelines for 5 step Jefferson Nickels.
    Written by Bernard Nagengast Author of " The Jefferson Nickel Analyst" IMG_0003.JPG
    This it taken out of the Red book on Buffalo and Jefferson Nickels.

1938 has it's own guidelines. The steps are bridged in quite a few areas giving a wavy look to them. In order to get the five step designation, the fifth step must be defined, even under the third pillar from the left. Not only having a defined indent separating the fourth step, but also not blending into the field below.

I am not trying to bad mouth ICG in saying that they aren't qualified to grade coins, but what you have to remember is you are buying an opinion, And for the most part you get what you pay for. And that is usually an in educated guess. My experience is they can be 1 to 2 points off, and you are probably better cracking the coin, in order to sell it.

@ValpoBeginner I hope it is just your photos, and they are lacking the necessary depth of the steps to show us what you see. I am looking forward to your new Photos.

ValpoBeginner and Paddy54 like this.
  14. ValpoBeginner

For those more visually oriented. From MAC...

FS.png

15. ValpoBeginner

Note....MAC does not even mention graders other than PCGS and NGC.

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm not ready to say if ICG got it right or not from those images.

17. ValpoBeginner

We shall find out soon enough. I may even go out and get a better camera for the occasion, if my loupe turns out to verify what ICG did.

Draft saved Draft deleted