Which of the 3 sets to collect?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Digitalfuzz, May 25, 2010.

1. Digitalfuzz

Digitalfuzz Junior Member

Hey folks, I was just curious as to what everyone's opinion is as to which of the 3 mint sets to collect. Do you collect the Uncirculated, Proof or the Silver Proof or do you just go for broke and collect all 3? I started off with the 2009 uncirculated and have recently purchased the silver proof. Now I see they have the 2010 Park quarters coming out in silver proof. So many choices all designed to separate me from my money..LOLOL

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The yearly clad or silver proof sets already contain the quarters and the presidential dollars so you can save money by waiting until mid-year and just purchasing the year sets. TC

4. I do the Silver proof set. I am not in it for the silver content, but I think it's really neat to see the modern coins with one color on the edge. (Seriously, that is why I bought the silver set last year, my first proof set)

It seems redundant and pricy to buy both sets, so I didn't buy the clad. I have no interest in the mint sets with their satin finish.

I mainly do circulation coinage...not easy to find some of the new stuff...I'm still looking for a 2008 D nickel, both 2009 Nickels, and more, just since I started collecting in 2008. Being current doesn't mean easy to find!

5. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

you should get 3 of each :D

6. Louie_Two_Bits

Louie_Two_Bits Chump for Change

I collect the uncirculated and proof mint sets. But have heard that nothing beats the strong, detailed strike and appearance of the silver coins. I just havent ponied up the cash to collect the silver sets.

-LTB

7. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

I've been getting one of each of the 3 sets since the state quarters started in 1999.

8. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

I'm an uncirculated person myself. Nothing against proofs I just prefer to collect coins that are used in everyday life. I'm not a great big fan of the satin finish coins however but I have all the uncirculated sets from '64 on so I feel the need to keep the string going.

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Your last sentence is the absolute truth. Early on in this past decade, if you wanted to buy one of every item the Mint had to offer, it would have costed you about $9K. A few years later, that figure rose to almost $20K.

As I see it, you have several dilemmas ahead of you. If you decide to collect the complete proof sets, you will have some of the Prez $'s but not those from the first years. Do you want to try to get those to have a complete set? If so, you will have the last years of the Sac Golden $ and the states quarters. Do you want to go back to 1999 to get all of those? Probably not, but those are some of the decisions you will have to make.

You should also be aware that the Uncirculated Mint Sets are unlike the regular business strikes. They have a satin finish which the Mint began using in 2005.

Whatever you decide, have fun.

Chris

10. Jcoin

Jcoin Junior Member

I usually opt to collect my coins in Proof quality - silver or otherwise.
    I concentrate moreso on Australian currency tho.

11. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

I get 1 proof, 1 UNC.

12. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

As for the 3 new sets for the Parks Quarters - none of them. I'll buying the usual low mintage coins in the silver proof sets and matte proof sets, whoops, I mean satin unc sets.

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Know what old fellow? Time was you only had to buy two. One mint set and one proof set. That was back in the day when there was still silver in the coins and kids had to walk three miles to school in all kinds of weather with 50 pound back packs.

Seriously, back in that day the mint was really quite sparse in its' offerings and you had to order everything via snail mail. Today we have the beloved internet and everything we desire is but a click away. It really boils down to what you want to collect and also, what you can afford. If your budget allows, I recommend getting one of each of "the three". If you can only afford just one of these sets that's okay too....pick the one that most pleases you.

If I were to recommend one (and only one) I'd say go for the silver set. Among all of the sets produced by the mint it is by far the most beautiful and also the one set that seems (at least to me) to be of the highest quality. Above all else....enjoy collecting. :smile

14. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I don't buy any.

15. au and ms coins

au and ms coins Junior Member

I would buy the proof set- you get the best quality for the best price

16. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

Every now and then I'll buy a mint set, but rarely a proof set. It mainly has to be something I'm looking for...

Draft saved Draft deleted