Which NGC 1948-D Jefferson Nickel do you prefer?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Jan 19, 2022.

?

Which NGC graded 1948-D Jefferson Nickel do you prefer?

1. Coin #1: Gold Toner

2. Coin #2: Rainbow Toner

3. Coin #3: Pastel Toner

4. Can't Decide: Just show results!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Many of the responses to this thread are incredible, and very similar to my analysis with one key difference which I will divulge along with the reveal of the grades later today.

Fantastic job guys, it is detailed responses like the ones in this thread that really make Cointalk a great place to learn about coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I never even looked at the possible grades, just the overall appearance of the coins.

4. Lehigh96

Ok guys, here is the story behind my 1948-D registry slot. In 2011 I purchased a 1948-D Jefferson Nickel ANACS MS66 5FS and cracked the coin out an put it in my album collection.

[​IMG]

From time to time, I revisit my album collection and look for coins that are too good for the album collection and deserve submission, this coin made the grade so to speak, so I submitted it to NGC in 2017. The result was an 1948-D NGC MS67 5FS.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was so excited about adding this coin to my registry set that I immediately sold my existing registry coin which was a phenomenal rainbow toned MS66*.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After selling the coin, I forgot to delete it from my registry set, and when I got the submission back from NGC, life intervened and it took me a few weeks to get through the entire submission. Most of the other coins were early Jeffersons and by the time I got to the 1948-D, I had forgotten that I sold my MS66*. When I compared the new MS67 5FS to the photo of the MS66*, I decided that the toned coin was prettier and that I could use the $500, so you guessed it, I mistakenly sold both of my registry coins. Add insult to injury, I didn't even notice that I had no 48-D in my collection until years later. Since the 48-D is an easily slot to fill, I bought this coin in January 2021 for $91 (well below price guide), Coin #1 (gold toner).

[​IMG]

In May of 2021, I purchased a complete Jefferson Dansco album for $3.64/coin which yielded Coin #3 (paster toner), which immediately went into the queue for submission. My expected grade for this coin was MS66*.

[​IMG]

Then in August of 2021, I purchased Coin #2 (rainbow toner) off eBay for $27. The seller's photos were decent, but not great. When I opened the package, I was greeted by one of the greatest and most lustrous standard alloy Jefferson Nickels I had ever seen. My expected grade was either MS67+, MS67*, MS67*+, or even MS68. Yes, the visual impact of this coin is that good. When viewed side by side with the pastel toner, there is no question which is the superior coin, unless you are the NGG grader that is.

[​IMG]

The simple fact that coin #1 and coin #3 have a higher grade than coin #2 is nothing short of a numismatic travesty. Needless to say, despite the lower grade, this coin now firmly resides in NGC registry set.

5. Lehigh96

IMO, this analysis is flawless, well done!

6. Lehigh96

Are you sure you aren't an NGC grader? Your opinion of coins #2 & #3 seem to mirror what they must have been thinking.

kSigSteve likes this.
  7. Lehigh96

You are right about that, they just don't give stars for nickels anymore. As for the planchet roughness on cheek/jaw, they don't count that against the grade, which means if you were an NGC grader, you would grade it MS67. And personally, I agree with your grade of MS66 for the other two. There was a reason why I got coin #1 at a discount price, and coin #3 has small marks that are inconveniently placed in the obverse focal area that should prevent an MS67 grade, IMO.

ddddd likes this.
  8. Lehigh96

You and me both, coin #2 is far superior in eye appeal and deserves a star, a plus, something! C'mon NGC!

9. ddddd

ddddd Member

I'm ok with 66, 66+, or 67 on the toner.
    The last one is also fine as a 66-67 but the first is by far the weakest.

10. WashQuartJesse

WashQuartJesse Member Supporter

Enjoyed this thread, Lehigh! All great examples. Resubs would swap these grades around, give or minus, of course. I wasn't trying to necessarily guess a grade but disagree w/ their assignments (not the general range). The graders weren't given the excellent side by sides like we were (to completely dissect great coins lol). I think it's wrong to assign #3 a 67 with that Obv hit being focal w/ another major distractor on Rev? #2's flaws are less significant and far more masked, imo. I "guessed" that #2 had the best luster which I'm glad to hear you confirm. Great post.

11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I think they nicked that coin because of the thick and hazy perimeter. Awesome coin for the registry, don't blame ya one bit.

12. Lem E

Lem E Well-Known Member

Sorry, I missed this whole thing. Haven't been on here all week. I like #2…and 3….and the one you sold.

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  13. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

I take that as a huge compliment. I have always tried to participate in as many of these as possible. I also do not own a single PCGS coin. Most of your GTG are typically NGC coins as that is your preference so therefore, I have experienced more calibration grading their coins due to your threads. So, thank you sir!

ddddd and Lehigh96 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted