Which Morgan to keep and which to sell?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by larssten, Jan 23, 2018.

1. larssten

larssten Well-Known Member

Hello,

I am having a hard time deciding which one of my 1882 Morgan dollars to keep.

- Nr.1 I have had a while - bought it raw and have always loved it - especially for its toning. It has a few marks on obverse, but otherwise looks good.

- Nr.2 I recently purchased and its graded NGC MS64. It looks great with few markings, and probably a few less than Nr.1. It looks also plain and perhaps a bit boring (?) without the toning.

Anyways, if you were in my shoes, which one to keep and which would you pass on?

Hope the photos are OK for a quick assessment - they are just iPhone photos.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

2 great looking coins! Why not keep both if you can? From your own words it sounds like you like number one better even though the NGC is in a little better shape. What was that you said "plain and a bit boring"? Your coins, your choice.

larssten likes this.
  4. Sunflower_Coins

Sunflower_Coins Importer and Exporter

If I was you, I'd keep them both. :)

The toning on the raw coin is great (I like just a little on the rim) but that scratch on the cheek is distracting. I love blast white coins, so I'd probably keep the NGC coin, IMHO.

5. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Keep the graded one. The scratch on the cheek of the raw one is too distracting.

6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I lean to the graded one because of the cheek on the raw one. But I’d keep them both, especially since you like the raw one.

larssten and Libertyron like this.
  7. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

+1

larssten likes this.
  8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

If I had to pick one I'd keep the graded one

asheland and larssten like this.
  9. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

The graded one is definitely the one I'd like to keep it has nicer eye appeal for sure in my opinion. However, if money received in the sale of the one you don't keep is a factor you'll be able to sell the graded one for way more than the raw one. 1. It's already graded which is more liquid and 2. The raw one has some distracting marks that would keep the price down pretty low, relative to the graded one.

larssten likes this.
  10. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

I would, probably, keep both. At the same time, I would keep my options open for the future. One of the two could maybe be useful as a bargaining chip if you wanted to swap and get that Coin of a lifetime !!!

larssten likes this.
  11. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

If you can keep them both, I would, but, if I must choose, I'd take the graded piece over the raw piece due to eye appeal.

larssten, Sunflower_Coins and green18 like this.
  12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Echo Joe.........:)

larssten likes this.
  13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I would sell the one with the scratch.

larssten and SilverMike like this.
  14. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

I would sell both and buy a nice (for the grade) MS65.;)

15. Bert Gedin

The word, "morganatic" has something to do with marriage. Could the two coins be married to each other ?

larssten likes this.
  16. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Common year Morgan Dollars below gem BU grades are readily available. Keep the one you like most :)

larssten likes this.
  17. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

In other words, it’s ok to sell the graded Morgan, if the other coin is in your heart...

larssten likes this.
  18. GoldBug999

GoldBug999 Well-Known Member

I agree, find one that combines the best of both coins by selling/trading both.

larssten likes this.
  19. Bert Gedin

How about Morgan and (fallen angel) Morgana ???

larssten likes this.
  20. Bert Gedin

John Pierpont Morgan was a U.S. financier - So now we know !!!

larssten likes this.
  21. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

They named a bank after him...

eddiespin and larssten like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted