Which Image To Keep

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bsowa1029, Jan 30, 2015.

1. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

What program did you use to do that?
    I use gimp and I couldn't find any way to do that.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I'm using Photoshop, but GIMP should be capable of this. Put the two images into separate layers. Change the opacity of the top layer. You may have to spend time aligning them so that they match exactly. It simulates fading multiple light sources in and out.

4. bsowa1029

I wasn't able to find a way to change the opacity. Are you familiar with Gimp? Could you tell me where to find the opacity adjustments in Gimp?

5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Much better, I like the photo on the left. I think that if photos are too large, they exaggerate the imperfections on the coin and cause the viewer to grade the coin lower than it actually is.

green18 likes this.
  6. bsowa1029

Yeah, that makes sense. To me it was the other way around though. When I was going back and forth between the two it was before I edited them. The coin looked smaller because I hadn't cropped it yet. Once I had the coins cropped, enlarged, and in this thread I almost immediately gravitated towards the first one, which is the one on the left in the side-by-side.

7. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I have only dabbled with GIMP. I found this tutorial on blending two images with different exposures. It shows opacity as a slider above the list of layers.

8. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I like coin #1 better. The cheek is cleaner

Draft saved Draft deleted