Which image do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by stldanceartist, Aug 27, 2016.

?

Which image do you prefer?

1. Mexico 1967 20 Centavos - Image 1

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Mexico 1967 20 Centavos - Image 2

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  3. 1964 Kennedy Half - Image 1

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. 1964 Kennedy Half - Image 1

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Playing around with my lighting...thought I'd get some feedback from you guys. I tried to keep the images close to full size so you could really zoom in.

Which image do you prefer, and why?

Mexico 1967 20 Centavos

Image 1

Mexico - 1967 20 Centavos 1 - Obverse.png

Image 2

Mexico - 1967 20 Centavos 2 - Obverse.png

1964 Kennedy Half

Image 1

1964 Kennedy Half 1 - Obverse.png

Image 2

1964 Kennedy Half 2 - Obverse.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I like the second ones of each better. The lighting is more even on the 20 centavos and there's some light getting to the bottom of the Kennedy, lighting up the toning a little in the lower left quadrant.

ldhair likes this.
  4. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Mexico, #2 because I'm finding it hard to imagine that normal lighting would produce that much contrast.

USA, don't know because the only difference I can see is in the saturation of the colors, and without the original coin I don't know which is more accurate.

5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I prefer the ones that look most like the actual coins do in hand. Obviously a lot will pick the images that look the best, but if the coin doesn't really look that way in hand doesn't do much good

longshot and cpm9ball like this.
  6. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

Ditto

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Ditto!

Chris

8. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I like #2 for both. The lighting as @messydesk said, is more even and helps to bring out the subtle luster on both. Which gives a some life to the coins. I bet the second one's are probably closer renditions of how the coin actually looks in hand.

9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

+1

10. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Maybe I am braindead but I kind of like the first and the color

11. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

If I'm selling a coin I want a picture that looks as close to what the coin looks like in hand as possible, but if I'm just photographing coins for my own viewing pleasure (insert jokes here) I'll mess with the image and try to make a piece of art out of it

micbraun likes this.
  12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

If I'm buying a coin, I want a picture that is representative of what the coin looks in hand. Those types of pictures keep the world of coin commerce turning smoothly.

13. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I prefer to see what the coin looks like in hand as well, but that's hard to get in a photo. I like the second set because it gives a better idea of what the coins will look like in hand. The first set are a bit too dark.

14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

No offense but not knowing what the coin actually looks like in hand this is just pure speculation to put it nicely. "The first set are a bit too dark" and if the first set are what the coin actually looks like?

15. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I get what you mean. This is one of those purely subjective things that there is really no point in discussing. We have developed our own mental methods for figuring out what we are looking at :)

16. Ericred

Ericred Active Member

17. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Hey guys!

First off, thanks for the feedback on the images. As you can tell, both sets are of the same two coins. The only difference between each set of images is that for the first set, I added an extra layer of diffusion to my lighting setup. Less light = darker images.

For the first image for each coin, I used a diffusion filter that is made out of the same material used in stage lighting gels. For the second image, I added a layer of adhesive label paper over the top to see what effect it would have.

In my opinion, for the Mexico 1967 20 Centavos, the first image is closer in color to what the coin looks like in hand, but doesn't show much luster. The second image, with more/stronger lighting, is a little less red, but shows a bit of luster.

For the 1964 Kennedy, the second image shows a bit more luster overall, and a bit more color depth, but the dark toning around the date (and it is a deep maroon mixed with blue) shows even darker for some reason.

I'm still not happy with my lights...but am trying to improve them without spending $1,000 on a set of 300W Kaiser Halogen copy stand bulbs. Just playing around at this point...and thought I would share what's happening. Feel absolutely free to share your thoughts (if you have any more.)

18. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

What the coins look like in hand depends on the lighting used when inspecting the coin in hand. If you are viewing coins outside on an overcast day or at the concession stand of a bourse floor, my photos will not look like the coin in hand, thank goodness.

19. Yeah, the line about preferring which picture looks more like the coin in hand (which is a common response to threads like this) has always struck me as a bit sanctimonious. A coin will look very different in hand depending on the lighting and angle of the coin with regard to the lighting. A coin viewed under fluorescent lighting on a bourse floor will look different when viewed under natural daylight.

To answer the question- I like #2 for the 20 Centavos, as it looks a bit sharper and shows more luster. I also like #2 for the Kennedy and think it's a clear choice, as it shows more of the color, particularly around the back of the head.

Draft saved Draft deleted