Which Hammered Coin do you think is the best of these two?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Smittys, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Smittys

Smittys Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I'd go with 1, more of the face shows despite the surface.

4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

#1 Better face. With ancient and medieval coins, I think the bust of the ruler/deity in the obverse is a little more important than the reverse design. A good portrait is always a big plus for these coins.

5. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I would say second since you can see more of the legend but also face. I'm assuming this is Edward I?

6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Maybe I am just the oddball, but i prefer #2. I like the stronger devices on both sides and better surfaces. To me a more pleasing coin to look at.

7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I have wondered about this. I want to get a Longshanks penny for my sister. I gave her one and she was complaining about trying to read the wording. Coin #1 has perhaps a better portrait, but the lettering is not clear. Coin #2 has better lettering, but the portrait is not AS clear. Overall, if you want to give me one for my birthday, I would take either one, but I would prefer #1.

8. jgenn

jgenn World Crown Collector

I suspect that the two would look more alike if the photographs were taken under similar conditions. #1 looks like typical auction house quality and #2 an amateur.

9. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

#2 but I should avoid both.

10. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

I like them both and my decision would be based more on the isuing mints - have you made up your mind which mints they are from?
    The top one appears to have the very clear letters ABE - but I cannot see which mint this should be! Is it maybe ABR and so part of VILLA BRISTOLIE?
    Second one the VILLA is fairly clear, but the town name is mostly gone - have you worked it out?
    Based on the top one being Bristol I would keep that one as it is only 30 miles from me here, but if the second one's town can be identified that might change my view.

11. Smittys

Smittys Member

They are suppose to be the same Issue,north # etc,
    one was an auction piece one is mine from a 120 coin lot of hammered I bought, it was in an auction envelope from an old seaby auction

12. PaddyB

OK - North does not give different numbers for different mints, so they could still be the same or differring mints. What North number did they have on them?
    Everything else being equal I would go with the top one as the lettering is more legible.

13. Smittys

Smittys Member

North 1076, IMG_2071.jpg

14. PaddyB

Very Useful! Berwick mint is a whole story to itself as they used their own dies and made less of a distinction between the reigns of Edward I,II and III. Now I am on the right page I can see that they are right and similar but not identical. I think I would now go for the second one as there is less fiddly damage.

Amazing that Berwick managed to keep making coins at that time as they kept having their city sacked by both English and Scottish armies. Most notable was in 1296 when Edward I's army under Robert de Clifford took it and virtually anihilated it. It is reputed that the Prince Bishop of Durham, Anthony Bek, was responsible for some of the worst atrocities. The wells of the city were filled with corpses to poison the water and make the city permanently uninhabitable - but still they came back!

mlov43 likes this.
  15. Smittys

Smittys Member

This is why I wondered, trying to figure price on coin.

Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 8.34.16 AM.png

16. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

It being a half penny makes a bit of a difference... They are a little more scarce than just a penny

17. Smittys

Smittys Member

Ok they have the same north # yet one's a half penny and one's a penny
    I'm lost but thats not hard for me

18. PaddyB

Well not entirely your fault this time! There is a fault in the caption to the halfpenny above - the North number should read 1086 if it is a halfpenny - the S1438 is right for a halfpenny.

North does not give values. The Spinks I have from 2011 suggests the Penny is worth GBP 25 in Fine, 65 in VF whilst the Halfpenny is GBP 50 in Fine and 150 in VF. Not sure I would agree with the grading in the caption either - I would give F+ at best.

So over to you if you want to go for it!

FitzNigel likes this.
  19. Smittys

Smittys Member

Thanks again, I'm having a great time learning about these and have ordered a couple books too. I hope I haven't been a pain. One nice thing is I found a 6 pence worth between 700-800lb, as per Baldwin. Which I may say is a class act firm, I got a response within 24hrs. I think I'll use them to auction all the pieces I don't decide to keep.

20. PaddyB

Glad to have been of assistance!

I would be interested to know which books you have ordered? The Spinks annual book is the standard over here and will do most of your needs, though the prices are not kept up to date as well as they might. The North treatise on hammered coins (in 2 volumes) is very academic and will nail down pretty much anything in the end, but is very short on diagrams and pictures so you need to know quite a lot before you can use it effectively.

Baldwin is certainly one of the best coin auctioneers in the UK, so I am sure you will get a good hammer price. Bear in mind that sellers commission in the UK at the top auctions is quite high - working out to 25% or more including tax. Local auctions can be much lower - around 15 to 20% but they get much less coverage. If you are selling a lot at Baldwins negotiate on the commission before you commit - they can reduce seller's commission if you are selling a lot and they really want your coins!

I would be interested to see your sixpence - have you posted anywhere on here?

21. Smittys

Smittys Member

spink.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted