Which coins to collect??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by rikdegraaff, Aug 31, 2014.

1. rikdegraaff

rikdegraaff New Member

Hi all,

I am very interested in collecting coins.
    I have a small collection of Euro-coins, but I want to collect also some pre-Euro currencies...

I live in The Netherlands.
    Therefore I am looking for currencies that are fairly cheap and easy to get in Holland.
    I was looking to collect dollars, but they are very expensive on eBay and other auction sites.

So maybe can you'll give me some currencies to think about.
    Thanks in advance,

Rik
    PS. I've read the forum rules, so I hope I don't violate any rule...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

If there are any coin shows in Holland I would start there. I think most of us here dont know whats cheap and or available in Holland.

4. rikdegraaff

rikdegraaff New Member

Thats a big problem, bkozak33.
    I have autism, a social "disorder".
    Therefor I can't go to such shows...

Any help here is appreciated!

5. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

so you are looking to buy coins on Ebay USA?

6. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Howdy and welcome.

You may want to order a complete set of the Krause Standard Catalog of World Coins set. My set is from 2007 or so and it is four or five volumes, perhaps 2000 pages in total. It lists world coins with approximate values and mintages from 1601-present and has images of many of the coins. For someone interested in coins, but not sure where they would like to explore, this may help very much.

Good luck.

geekpryde likes this.
  7. rikdegraaff

rikdegraaff New Member

Ehm, I think eBay.com will be the main site for searching.
    And I want to look also at .co.uk .
    UK because I don't have the import and tax duties...

@Tom B : Sorry, but for now I am not thinking of buying a catalog already...
    But thanksfor the offer.

It is 0:13 (midnight) here, so I'm off to get some sleep :)

8. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I think there was a misunderstanding in our posts; I was not offering you my catalogs. Instead, I was telling you what the 2007 editions contained, which may be different than later editions. My post was for education only.

9. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Well, before you start buying any type of coins do as much research as you can. It will make the hobby more enjoyable going forward.

10. aubade21

aubade21 Well-Known Member

Like Tom says, explore what is out there and educate yourself. You probably don't even need to buy any books yet. If you have access to a local library, most will have books on coin collecting. Start with those (since they are free), and then branch off from there. I wouldn't spend any of your money (either on coins or books) until you know what you want to collect, how much you have to spend, and whether those two things are compatible. For example, silver dollars may not be in your price range, but maybe nickels / cents are.
    Good luck!

11. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

If you like relatively inexpensive coins with a lot of history, the hammered coins from England are fun to collect. Aside from that I know very little about European coinage.

12. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Collect what you find interesting. You could try collecting OFEC (One From Every Country) or stick to World Type Sets. I'm from the US, so I'd be interested in coins from around your region. You might also consider trading with collectors who have coins you want and vice versa.

13. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

First off what is your definition of Fairly cheap and very expensive?

geekpryde likes this.
  14. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I would stick first with 20th century European pre-euro coins. That way, you can get silver and nonsilver coins, small, large, rare, common, etc. Decent looking coins farther back tend to be more expensive. The designs in the 1900s are interesting and quite varied. Take say switzerland's or France's small denomination silver coinage and compare it to Germany's different periods of coinage (ww1, Weimar, nazi) in the 1900s. It's quite fascinating to see the different art, history, and culture in all these coins. Maybe you should start with your own country's coinage in the past hundred years, then go to surrounding countries and start basic type sets for each one. That would be fun

15. rikdegraaff

rikdegraaff New Member

Thanks all for the replies.
    Sorry Tom for the misunderstanding, that's my fault...
    And a local library is 7 km away from me, and with my social problems, I cannot travel with a local bus or something...

So that will be a problem.
    I need all the info from the internet, maybe Catawiki.com (that's a site with info from collectors for collectors).

With fairly cheap coins, I meant one coin for ±1~1.50 Euro's.
    I don't have so much money, so that amount looks good for me.
    Germans have also very much different coins, in different "era's" as Joecoincollect said.
    Or maybe UK coins.

You're all right, I need to research that first.
    Well that's what I am going to do.

I will see the replies.
    Greetings, Rik

16. Vegas Vic

Vegas Vic Undermedicated psychiatric patient

Your account was started years ago but this is your first time writing a message have you been reading this site for years or did you make an account and not look at the site until now?

17. rikdegraaff

rikdegraaff New Member

I'm honest to you, I discovered this site years ago.
    I did made an account, but never visited this forum.

But is that a problem...???

18. Vegas Vic

Vegas Vic Undermedicated psychiatric patient

No not at all I was just curious

19. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

20. rikdegraaff

rikdegraaff New Member

All right, curiosity is okay ;)

@d.t.menace: Thanks for the link, I am going to check the site!!

Draft saved Draft deleted