Which coins are sleepers

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Boxeldercoin, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Boxeldercoin

Boxeldercoin New Member

Hi, I thought it might be interesting to see what coins you think are sleepers. I have a long list of sleepers and I will start the list with a few. This first one might raise some eyebrows but I like PCGS MS68 or higher Ike dollars. Hard to find in high grades. And how about the 1897-S Barber quarter, 1914-S Barber quarter. And I think the three cent nickels in proof are a great value. I am interested in what you think is a sleeper. Jim :hail:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I guess it depends upon what one uses as the definition of a sleeper. Is it a coin with fundamental reason to have a better financial future than others? Is it a coin that is far tougher to find in any condition than original mintage suggests? Is it a coin that you have to pay a ton for even though reported price guides suggest it is not valuable?

4. Danr

Danr Numismatist

those ms68 Ikes (non-silver) are already pricey. Usually sleeper is a coin that can be acquired for less than that. my sleepers: non-satin high grade dimes from the satin mint set years; ms65 non-silver Ikes; I also see the 2011 silver eagle set as under-valued- it is worth $1000 min and can still be had for $675 on ebay; it is a tricky question because silver and gold are sooo high that any non-clad coin that is cheap enough to be influenced by pm prices is sort of over-valued.

5. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

I think capped bust halves are "sleepers". You can get some awesome looking ones for around a $100.

6. That's because they were mainly traded between banks instead of in general commerce. CBH's tend to be a bit more prevalent in higher grades for an early 19th century coin.

As far as the 14-S 25c, I am not sure you can call that one a sleper anymore. That coin brings pretty heavy premiums anymore.

7. IMO, the APEs (American Platinum Eagles) are sleepers. Many have very low mintages and with the spot price of platinum now lower than gold, they are relatively inexpensive as compared to the past few years. TC

8. If not sleepers, the proofs have the most gorgeous designs on them since the 1940's.

9. AnkurJ

AnkurJ New Member

Mint state classic gold commems and tougher classic silver commems are both very undervalued in my opinion.

10. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Ankur took the words right out of my mouth, tougher date early commems will see their day again.

11. sunflower

sunflower New Member

UNcir Ikes in high MS sound good to me.

12. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

13. zach67005

zach67005 Active Member

Any coin that doesn't answer this post @ 3:37am could be considered a sleeper, no?

14. Boxeldercoin

Boxeldercoin New Member

I agree that the early commemoratives are under priced and would be a good buy at this time.

Draft saved Draft deleted