Which coin should I keep?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by The Abomidable panda, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Which coin would you rather have? I can’t decide.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Definitely not the details one its pretty scratched and looks whizzed.Go with the straight graded one it has a better look to it and the grade is right although it appears to be scratched also.If it were me I wouldn't buy neither of them and just keep looking.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I think you should decide for yourself.

5. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

The 58 is the nicer of the two.

spirityoda and tibor like this.
  6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Always better to go with a straight grade rather than a problem coin unless it has ugly toning or some other defect that affects eye appeal (in which case skip both)

john65999 likes this.
  7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

no question, the AU, not the scratched one

8. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

9. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

AU if you can afford it .:happy:

Cheech9712 likes this.
  10. Okay I own both so I’ll sell the unc details and keep the au. I was leaning towards that but wanted to get your opinion

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The Details one is out in my book.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  12. potty dollar 1878

@Oldhoopster i think you might of made the same mistake.Actually the op isn't looking to buy he/she owns them both and wants to know which one is better so the other one can be sold.Didn't see the title at first and the original post description sounded more like a buying deal.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  13. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

The amount you would get for the "Details" coin won't buy you a cup of coffee. I would keep both of them. It will always remind you what to look for when you buy a coin. I bought a 1904 Double Eagle Liberty Head (if that's how to refer to it) from a dealer. It was his estimate that the coin was at least a MS 61. I was knew, and I trusted him. It came back "Detail-Obv Scratched". He offered to buy it back for what I had in it, but I decided to keep it as an example.

14. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

No mistake. Just offering some general advice that's applicable in this case as well as many other scenarios

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  15. potty dollar 1878

Ok your last part(in which case skip both) made me come to that conclusion.

16. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

I believe the AU straight grade is nicer, but if you like the color of the details coin I would understand why.

On the other hand..

Why not both?

Cheech9712 and Kentucky like this.
  17. cpm9ball

"I think you might have made the same mistake." or "I think you might've made the same mistake."

Your English teacher would be appalled.:eek:

Cheech9712 and tommyc03 like this.
  18. potty dollar 1878

So what?the sentence still makes sense go procrastinate some more will ya:oldman::oldman:.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  19. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

You made a good decision. Graded is certain, uncirculated details is a guess. Like your post, thanks.

20. cpm9ball

preposition
    [ˌprepəˈziSH(ə)n]
    NOUN
    grammar
    1. a word governing, and usually preceding, a noun or pronoun and expressing a relation to another word or element in the clause, as in “the man on the platform,” “she arrived after dinner,” “what did you do it for?”
    No, the sentence doesn't make sense. You don't use a preposition to modify a verb. You're the one who has been procrastinating.......learning English!

tommyc03 likes this.
  21. potty dollar 1878

Whatever i have no idea what your talking about of course if it was a serious situation i would do it to my best knowledge.

Draft saved Draft deleted