Which Caesar?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by NormW, May 19, 2013.

1. NormW

NormW Student Of Coinology

The obverse looks like the style of Augustus, but the reverse really stumps me. The word ANNO is clear, the date in roman numerals is not. Anyone have an idea?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

The wreath style reminds me of various provincial issues, particularly Spanish ones. Colonia Patricia?

Unfortunately I don't have any good references for these. It looks like the reverse reads ANNO XXXVII, or year 37 of the particular province, but I'm stabbing at the dark.

4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I am not an expert in these by far, but my guess would be Augustus. He kept a young image for far longer than it was true in real life.

Just my guess though, John and I can wait around for the real experts to chime in. :)

5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i'm with you guys, looks like one of those augustus colonia patricia or julia traduca coins, but i don't know that one.

6. NormW

NormW Student Of Coinology

If it helps; the coin was collected in northern Turkey on the Black Sea.

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

It does look like an Augustus provincial from Spain, but I don't recognize it and, with just a short look, I was unable to find anything like it.

8. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

A long neck... Maybe it is Claudius (41-54 A.C.)?

9. Bing

I checked Claudius, but found nothing

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

How 'bout Caligula?

11. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Gaius was my second guess. The youth of the portrait is what makes it difficult for me to guess Claudius, though the long neck is a usual feature of his.

12. Bing

I checked "Little Boots" as well.

13. Dionysos

Dionysos Well-Known Member

Claudius ("TI C..." below bust) from Sinope I'd say (the year on rev. could be LXXXVII, maybe). Did not find a specific attribution, yet...

Draft saved Draft deleted