Which 2x2 holders are best?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GSDykes, Jul 3, 2015.

1. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

I searched the forums and could not find adequate information on this, so I post this. I recently purchased what should have been a great coin. I always remove them from their old 2x2 cardboard holders (this is about such coins and holders, not slabs), and put them into a new cardboard holder. I took it out only to find it was covered with a PVC type residue, you know the milky cloudy stuff. It was/is practically impossible to completely remove. (maybe months in acetone). I have used "SuperSafe" holders and am quite happy with them. Never had a problem with them. Their little windows are some sort of a crisp Mylar. Never seen residue in any Supersafe held coins. But the holder which left the PVC murky mess, was a "Lighthouse". Lighthouse holders have a diamond like trademark on the little tab. Supersafe's have a crown. I just bought some Lighthouse 2x2's and upon inspecting the little window material, it does not seem as "hard" or crisp as the Supersafe windows. It is a softer window, like a thin baggy like plastic. Are the older Lighthouse 2x2's different from their current issues? Does anyone know what material the lighthouse windows are made of? Has anyone long term experience in comparing various 2x2 holders?? Does anyone have a favorite, and if so why?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

PVC is supposed to be a softener, so it's possible that the "crisp" Mylar-like window wasn't the culprit. For all you know, the previous owner of the coin removed it from a holder which did contain PVC, did nothing to eliminate the growth and just put it into another holder. I would imagine that there are a lot of collectors who don't recognize the signs of PVC contamination or understand what it can do to a coin, and think that just removing the coin from a holder is all that is necessary.

I prefer to use SaFlips because they have a second pocket for an insert to record info, and the coin can be easily removed for photos.

Chris

swamp yankee likes this.
  4. peter1234

peter1234 Member

I use Lighthouse or Lindner self seal flips.
    Top quality and safe.
    I started off with staples but soon realized the error of my ways.
    Most of my coins are in a cabinet or trays and only the lesser coins end up in flips.

swamp yankee and GSDykes like this.
  5. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

For me, it depends on the use of the holder. For long term storage, archival Mylar always works regardless of the brand or configuration. These aren't good for coins that are moved around a lot as in shipping or in showing them. They crack and you can loose the coins. They scratch easily and become cloudy and they are very sharp and can scratch and damage the coin. Soft PVC containing holders are best for these coins as the PVC doesn't leach out of the plastic in the short term. Depending on the environment, it can take months or years for it to become a problem. My two cents.

6. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

Am I incorrect in thinking that clear caps are the "clear" choice for protection??

swamp yankee likes this.
  7. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Exactly! You have no way of knowing how the coin was stored prior to purchase. Which is why every raw coin I buy gets an acetone bath, regardless of its appearance.

swamp yankee likes this.
  8. fish4uinmd

Acetone...why is acetone used?

swamp yankee likes this.
  9. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

It dissolves and removes the Polyvinylchloride from the coins. Always use a double or triple bath correctly.

swamp yankee and fish4uinmd like this.
  10. fish4uinmd

I have a well cir 78 CC that is battleship gray or darker, it came out of a thin 2x2 holder...should I still do the acetone thing?

Attached Files:

11. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Only if it has any PCP residue , if not do nothing .

swamp yankee likes this.
  12. rzage

I know this isn't the question you asked but figured I'd throw it out there anyways . Cardboard 2X2s are the lowest level protection there is . The Mylar will crack easily leaving your coins open to contaminants . Staples will scratch them . I use them only for my circulated coins and only temporary . I use Intercept Shields or other hard plastic holders , they're well worth the extra cost for your coins .

swamp yankee likes this.
  13. fish4uinmd

OK, thanks again.

swamp yankee likes this.
  14. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Acetone also loosens the organic gunk that accumulates around devices and numbers/letters on most circulated coins. So mine get the acetone bath even when I don't detect any PVC presence.

swamp yankee likes this.
  15. fish4uinmd

after the bath, do you rinse them with distilled h2o?

swamp yankee likes this.
  16. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

PVC ( Rigid) itself is stable enough to store or bury sealed with metal and not cause any reactions. HOWEVER, flexible PVC ( such as in holders contains Plasticizer molecules to make it flexible, and in the presence of moisture, it can leave the PVC moiety and react as an organic acid on the coin it is containing. Not overly strong , but if left alone for extended time, can do visible damage. After 4 years plasticizer content in the the PVC is still 92 percent, but within 9 years, it is about 60%, and that is the stage where most damage probably starts, as once it reached that level it stays fairly stale for the next 20 years, except that also means it cracks more and is not very flexible.

Acetone can not remove tarnish, so the grey will stay unless you use a dip ( acid such as EZ-Est is much safer than cyanide, even for chemists )

The better chemists I know say no water rinse after the last acetone rinse, as acetone takes excess water with it, leaving a very water free coin, so why add a possible harming substance right as you put it into a holder?

swamp yankee, GSDykes and fish4uinmd like this.
  17. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

I use Cowen's Mylar cardboard flips for some moderns in my own versions of albums. (quarters, Ikes, and small dollars)
    I use Saflips for the rest of my keepers.
    I have not noticed any problems at all with either one

swamp yankee and GSDykes like this.
  18. rzage

For silver and gold if there's crud I'd try it . But not on copper , copper seems to change colors the couple times I've experimented with it , some even say it can change color on other coins though I myself haven't seen it . Still if a coin doesn't need it why chance it ?

swamp yankee likes this.
  19. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

I use Quadrum Intercept Shield holders which are 50mm x 50mm. These aren't the same as Intercept Shield holders which I think are 2" x 1 15/16" and don't fit in the Quadrum trays I use. Quadrum is a Lighthouse product - actually Leuchturn, from Germany.

swamp yankee likes this.
  20. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

I've got to try it.

swamp yankee likes this.
  21. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

True, I have no idea what the previous owner did, good point. The coin was a proof 1964 nickel, and it definitely appears to have been in the same holder for some time! You know, it left its imprint on the little window, and both it and the little window became cloudy. In his sales image of the coin, I was unable to discern, it was cheap so I jumped. Lost very little, and gained another reason why I need to rely on better pics. The guy dumped one on me for a couple of dollars. desertgem is correct in that acetone does little to remove old PVC, it seems to bond to the coin's surface, especially after some time. And this coin was in this same holder for some time. It was a Lighthouse holder, no staples, and no apparent water damage, the adhesive bond seemed quite good. I really suspect that "old" window. Hence I now suspect LIghthouse 2x2's for long/short term. I cannot afford rigid things, and the Safflips are okay, but do not fit in my albums!! I am happy with the Supersafe 2x2 and probably will stay with them. I doubt if I will be around here 25-30 years from now, I am almost 69. But I do want to leave the next person with something useful. So, I plug along... doing my best within reason, thanks.

rzage and swamp yankee like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted