Which 1996-P Jefferson Nickel do you prefer?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Dec 1, 2021.

?

Which 1996-P Jefferson Nickel do you Prefer?

1. Coin #1: Raw

2. Coin #2: NGC Graded

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Shown below are two 1996-P Jefferson Nickels. Please vote in the attached poll indicating which coin your prefer and if you feel like opining on the grade of each nickel, do so in your reply to the thread.

Coin #1: Raw
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Coin#2: NGC Graded
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As always, comments welcome, and please remember to vote.

capthank, Lem E, ddddd and 1 other person like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

It's a tough one @Lehigh96 ! I like the #2 better because of the Obverse. It's amazing and if the Reverse didn't have the "battle scars" it would obviously Grade very high. It's still an exquisite specimen though. :)

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I went with #1, raw. Beautiful coloring and a less battle scared.

Inspector43 and Matthew Kruse like this.
  5. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

I agree, I like the tone of the 1st better than the 2nd.

Collecting Nut and Inspector43 like this.
  6. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

The graded one was made from a well-used die and is marked up more. Number 1

Collecting Nut likes this.
  7. Lehigh96

Anybody want to opine on the grades of these two coins?

8. Lehigh96

9. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Not me. The only grade I use is eye appeal.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  10. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

#1 is a beautiful coin and would not be surprised if it achieved MS66 FS. The scar on the steps of #2 is prominent but I think it has even more luster than #1 and got MS67

SensibleSal66 and Lehigh96 like this.
  11. Lem E

Lem E Well-Known Member

It’s a tough call for me. I would say the raw coin looks just a tad cleaner with better surfaces. The obverse is better on coin 2 and the reverse better on coin 1. Even with the whack on the jaw, I like coin 1. I say they both grade out at 67-6FS.

12. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

I get the impression of more luster on the first. True, it has a few more rough spots on the obverse where the strike could not quite smooth them out, but on the other hand it has full steps. The surfaces of Monticello seem about the same on both coins. 67+ for #1, 67 for #2.

13. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

#1 has a better reverse and has a really nice obverse, so #1 is my choice.

14. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I like coin 1 because of the clean steps. Coin 2 has that mark in the steps. Coin 2 is MS67 not FS. Coin 1 is MS66 but has FS.

15. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

1938-1959 are my favorites. I must admit, your coins are very nice, thanks for sharing them.

16. Steve Shupe

Steve Shupe Active Member

coin #1 has a better strike (look at the columns) and the luster is better. I would guess 66FS for #1 and 65FS for #2.

17. ddddd

ddddd Member

I picked the NGC. I know it has the nick through the steps but the raw has a nick through the cheek which catches my eye more (partially because I look at the obverse first). The raw also seems to have a bit more chatter.

My grade guesses:
    Raw: MS 66 6FS...steps clean but a nick on the cheek and some obverse chatter
    NGC: MS 67 6FS...very clean overall with just the one unfortunate nick on the steps

Pickin and Grinin and Lehigh96 like this.
  18. Tamaracian

Tamaracian 12+ Yr Member--Supporter

Both are nice coins with very good detail on both sides. The #1 raw is definitely FS and aside from the prominent "hit" on the Cheek IMO would grade MS-65 FS; the #2 NGC IMO is graded MS-66 but NOT FS.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  19. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I voted first and I'm sticking to my opinion.:p #2 is better. It's encapsulated already.:)

20. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

I like coin 1 better although the obverse of coin 2 is much better. I just can’t with that gash on the steps of coin 2.

Coin 1 66 FS

Coin 2 67

21. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

#2 has amazing luster, and looks mostly unbroken, that ding across the steps still has separation between the steps, I would pass it for FS. Nothing like the look of an early die state.
    Light deterioration between Monticello and Five Cents.
    MS68

Draft saved Draft deleted