Which 1983-P Jefferson Nickel do you prefer?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Dec 13, 2021.

?

Which 1983-P Jefferson Nickel do you prefer?

1. Coin #1: NGC Full Stepper

2. Coin #2: Raw Full Stepper

3. Coin #3: Raw without steps

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Shown below are three 1983-P Jefferson Nickels. Please vote in the attached poll indicating which coin your prefer and if you feel like opining on the grade of each nickel, do so in your reply to the thread.

Coin #1: NGC Full Stepper

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Coin #2: Raw Full Stepper

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Coin #3: Raw without steps

[​IMG]

As always, comments welcome, and please remember to vote.

PamR, ddddd, Lem E and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

4. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

I voted Coin 2.

Coin 1 - 66FS

Coin 2 - 67FS

Coin 3 - 67

Lehigh96 likes this.
  5. Lehigh96

Would you give coin #2 5FS or 6FS, it is on its way to NGC.

6. Lehigh96

7. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

6656 would be super harsh in my opinion. Could argue either way but I think this gets 6FS. I believe the line across the bottom step is uninterrupted while the step might have a small hit the top of the step (line) seems to be intact by these photos.

49F8B99D-188F-4D1F-9328-2C061B459016.jpeg

8. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

To me the 2nd one looks the best 6 FS,all 3 are nice.

Kasia likes this.
  9. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

All three are great but my fav is coin 2.
    #1 MS66 - FS
    #2 MS67 - 6FS
    #3 MS67

10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I like #2. Very clean strike on the old boy and some very pleasant toning setting in.

Kasia likes this.
  11. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

#1. Love the toning. I would have graded the 3 as follows:

1. 66+*. Very strong in eye appeal. Great strike + color= *. NGC graded it as a 66 FS, but I think it is flirting with 67 FS. Definite star to me.
    2. 67 FS. A little cleaner, but less eye appeal to me. I am a sucker for the NGC coin’s toning. As regards FS, I think the nick leaves it at 5 steps.
    3. 67. My least favorite of the 3. A clean coin, but just lacks the pizzazz of the other two. A high technical grade, but does not captivate me.

Kasia likes this.
  12. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

The reverse on coin 1 has a worn die and cracks on the corners of Monticello, nice but coin 2 is cleaner with full steps. Hard to say if the 2nd coin will get 6 FS with the area below the 3rd pillar. But I still prefer 2 over 1 and 3.
    1 is MS 66+ 5FS
    2 is MS67 6FS
    3 is MS 67

Anthony Mazza, Morgandude11 and Kasia like this.
  13. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

Morgandude11 really covers my analysis about what I see.

All three have the same excellent obverses with just the slightest strike weakness on the cheekbone.

I acknowledge the delightful toning on the first one, which is something I really like. The orange peel die wear and rough surface under Monticello looks like it kicks up the luster, too.

From there I think it is just a matter of taste. I like a detailed strike. Coins 2 and 3 have sharp reverses, with number 2 gaining an edge on the detailed steps - which are, for once, in addition to the overall sharpness. So often the full steps are accompanied by a weak Monticello, but not here.

On the other hand, the strikes are so sharp that the surfaces seem to have more of a proof-like smoothness that may reduce the luster. So I can see folks preferring the first coin over either of the other two.

My choice would be number 2, given my personal tastes.

Anthony Mazza and Morgandude11 like this.
  14. Lem E

Lem E Well-Known Member

I think I am in agreement with most of the others. I would choose#2

#1 - 66-5FS Surfaces and weakness on Monticello keep this one down.

#2 - 67-6FS With really only one distraction on the coin and a full set of steps (assuming they pass that one little spot) I like this coin. Clean and well struck.

#3 - 67 Nice surfaces and a good strike, but no steps and the rim ding holds me back from this one.

Overall 3 very nice coins.

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  15. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Number 2 is the best. Nice, fresh reverse die compared to number one. I say 6FS.

16. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

I agree with the #2 crowd :D

17. ddddd

ddddd Member

I like #2 best (raw full steps)

#1: MS 66 5fs ...the orange peel texture below the chin and below "Unum" are a bit distracting; there are also some scattered hits on the building

#2: MS 66+ 5fs ...I want to say 67 6fs but think it misses both by just a bit (the 6th step has a break under the third pillar and the hit through the first pillar prevents the 67)
    #3: MS 67 ...technically the cleanest of all three but also the least exciting (at least to my eye from the photo)

kSigSteve and Morgandude11 like this.
  18. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

If it wasn't for the too severe die deterioration I would pick #1
    I think NGC holds it back to a 65 5fs for that.

Coin #2 is so very close to 6fs just not sure, given the right light if it is full or too weak for their standards.
    I still think that it could go 67, it all depends on how flashy the contact across the Monticello is.

I think the 3rd is the most attractive. (if you don't mind the steps)
    It has the earliest die state, semi cameo appearance and clean of planchet marks.

19. Lehigh96

OK, you guys pretty much nailed this one! There is only one reveal and it is the first one which only graded MS65 5FS, and I think @Pickin and Grinin nailed the reason why.

[​IMG]

This is virtually identical to my grades.

This is identical to my grades

While I would love to get a star from NGC, they skunk my coins with full rainbow toning on both sides, so none of these have any chance, otherwise your grades are also virtually identical to mine.

Another set of grades virtually identical to mine.

My personal choice is also number two and as long as it ends up grading higher than #1, it will end up residing in my registry collection.

Another set of grades identical to my own.

In my experience, NGC will usually allow one area of weakness on the 6th step and still award 6FS, but I guess it will depend upon the specific grader. I also think that you make a very good point about the coin #2 just missing MS67. IIRC, there is only one 1983-P graded MS67 5FS and I think any excuse they have to not grade it MS67, they will take. It would not surprise me in the least if they grade coin #2 MS66+ 5FS and coin #3 MS67. As you pointed out, coin #3 is the cleanest of the group.

Good call on the die deterioration holding back the grade on coin #1. While the obverse is very clean and the luster is great, the reverse looks very messy and doesn't really exude that premium gem look.

Coins #2 & #3 are going to NGC very soon, I will update this thread when I get the results.

My grades are:

Coin #1: MS66 5FS
    Coin #2: MS67 6FS
    Coin #3: MS67

20. Lehigh96

Well, I guess I better start putting MS68 on my GTG threads.

Coin #2: 1983-P MINT ERROR (Partial Collar) NGC MS68 5FS

[​IMG]

There is a lot going on with this coin. NGC has designated this coin an error (partial collar) despite the fact that I didn't ask for it to be graded as an error, and the error is very slight. I would imagine that most people would be happy if they received an error designation that they didn't request, but in this case I am very displeased. This is a registry quality coin and error coins are not allowed to compete in the registry which basically destroys the overall value of the coin. So the relevant question is, who is the best person at NGC to contact about having the error designation removed?

I don't really mind the grade of MS68 as the coin is ridiculously clean, but it doesn't have the luster that I would expect from an MS68, and I think it belongs in an MS67 holder. Lastly, they were a little harsh on the steps, I was expecting 6FS, but considering the grade, I guess I can live with 5FS.

Coin #3: 1983-P NGC MS66

[​IMG]

It seems that the grader was a little underwhelmed with this coin after seeing coin #2 before it.

21. Lem E

Lem E Well-Known Member

Man that is a tough deal on the error coin. That would have been top pop 1/0. I can see why you were unhappy.

Draft saved Draft deleted