Which 1958 Jefferson Nickel do you Prefer?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Mar 24, 2020.

?

Which of these two 1958 Jefferson Nickels do you Prefer?

1. Coin #1 (Raw Coin)

2. Coin #2 (NGC Coin)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Of the two 1958 Jefferson Nickels show below, which one do you prefer? Please explain your reasons why in the comments.

COIN #1

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

COIN #2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, any opinions on the numerical grade or steps of these two coins is certainly welcome.

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

I vote coin number one. It looks to be more sharply struck and overall I would give it a higher grade as well. Appears to be full steps to boot where the other one is not.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't like the distracting marks on Jeff's jaw on #2.

On a side note, I still don't know how anyone can figure "Full Steps" on coins like these. They look borderline to me. I guess it's a good thing that I don't collect them.
    ~ Chris

5. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Coin 1. Better struck, earlier die state, fewer blemishes.

6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am not sure that I would give either of these the FS designation. If I did the first one is the closest, from the photos. Although the second one has the less abraded dies. I voted for #1. Number 2 I would imagine grades higher.

7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

No question, #1, cleaner better struck

Mr. Flute likes this.
  8. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

What they said above and #1

9. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

Coin 1 because it's alot cleaner devices. coin two has mushy letters. Like it's worn die.

Inspector43 likes this.
  10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

What's not to like? I like both, but as others have stated, I think I lean towards coin #1.

11. Long Beard

Long Beard Well-Known Member

Coin #1. Nice, clean fields and above average strike, PF66.
    Coin #2. Also a nice example, NGC MS63. I'm on the fence as to being full step designated.

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Coin 1 has a better strike and is full steps. Luster is a bit stronger as well.

13. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

14. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

A triple post, that is a first...

15. Lehigh96

Ok, so here is where we are at. The vote is currently 16-0 for the first coin which is ungraded and the second coin is graded by NGC

[​IMG]

The population in MS66 is 68/1. I don't think they would grade the coin MS67, but MS66+? Maybe.

As for the full steps, the coin shouldn't get full steps from NGC, but I have seen way worse get full steps from PCGS. From a financial standpoint, I should submit to PCGS but I have submitted to them in almost 20 years. What do you guys think?

16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

AFAIK the only reason to submit ANYTHING is to increase the value...PCGS by all means.

17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

18. Long Beard

Long Beard Well-Known Member

MS66 with shaving nicks??? The uncertified is definitely a 66 or higher.

19. Lehigh96

Those shaving nicks are actually remnant planchet flaws and don’t affect the grade. That said, the strike is really weak, even for a 58-P, and it really should prevent a top grade.

I actually think the NGC coin is cleaner. I’m hoping for MS65 FS from PCGS for the 1st coin.

20. Anthony Mazza

Anthony Mazza Well-Known Member

I think coin 1 is a MS65 5FS and MS66 is spot on for coin 2.

21. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Can I vote "neither"?

The bottom coin has a weak strike and way too many marks for a 66.

The top coin has some really serious marks in the hair and forehead and jaw that I would find quite distracting. I agree that it has a crisper strike, but neither coin appears FS in my opinion. The top coin has a mark under the third column that goes across several steps.

I don't collect Jeffersons, so these might actually be really nice examples for the date. I don't know. But I don't like either of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted