Which 1952-D Jefferson Nickel do you Prefer?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Dec 1, 2020.

?

Which of these 1952-D Jefferson Nickels do you prefer?

1. Coin #1: Well Struck Toner

2. Coin #2: Rainbow Toner

3. Coin #3: Blast White

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Shown below are three uncirculated 1952-D Jefferson Nickels. Please vote in the attached poll indicating which coin your prefer and if you feel like opining on the grade of each nickel, do so in your reply to the thread.

Coin #1: Well Struck Toner

[​IMG]

Coin #2: Rainbow Toner

[​IMG]

Coin #3: Blast White

[​IMG]

As always, comments welcome, and please remember to vote!

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

I voted 3
    MS 65 FS

John Johnson likes this.
  4. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I like coin #2 the best as I really like the colors present. As I understand it, nickels from the early 50s are generally poorly struck. All of these coins have what I would consider to be a solid strike with #1 obviously being the fullest. But, for me, the eye appeal of the colors of #2 give it the bump over the more subtle colors but better strike of #1. Coin #3 is really nice, I just prefer the eye appeal of the others.

This is my thought 2>1>3. due to the eye appeal.

I think the strike is 1>3>2.

5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

6. Lehigh96

Do you wanna grade each one?

7. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Coin 3 is my favorite. Coin 1 would be a close second. Least favorite being Coin 2.

Coin 1 - 66+ Strike is good. Eye appeal is good. Luster seems a bit flat and muted. Contact marks are pretty minimal with only 2 that I really see to my eye. One in front of Jefferson’s nose and the other near the T in Monticello.

Coin 2 - 67 Strike is average and softer than the other 2. Eye appeal is good. Luster seems better than 1 and has a bit better color. Surfaces seem pretty good. Only a few contact marks that stand out to me. One by the nose, C in cents, and M UNUM. I think the luster and color pushes this one to 67 even with an average strike. I also don’t like how the mint mark has a grease filled look.

Coin 3 - 67 5FS Strike is solid. I was a little hesitant on giving it FS but it appears to be there although a bit soft under column 2. Eye appeal is fantastic. Surfaces seem incredible with very minor hits that are likely planchet marks and the luster is best of all 3.

8. CamaroDMD

1. MS66+ 5FS
    2. MS66
    3. MS66

9. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

10. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

1: 66 no-FS. Moderate eye appeal. Well struck, but marks across the steps preclude the designation. Luster is impeded by toning. This one doesn't look amazing and it doesn't have FS... not great, not terrible.

2. 66 no FS. Attractive color, but clearly a weak strike precludes FS. I'm kinda ambivalent about this one, because it isn't amazing color/toning/eye appeal, and its weakly struck.

3. 65 FS. Clearly no toning (and most likely dipped, but ok). Steps are strong, luster appears much stronger than the other two (might be the pictures, might be the slightly hazy toning on the other two). However, it is a lower grade.

In the end, you have to decide what you want - decent eye appeal, strong luster, good strike, or FS. I know you well enough to know that you want at least 3 of the 4 in any coin you buy... so I voted for coin 3. However, I'm trying to picture any of these 3 in your collection, and none of them really seem to fit.

I don't know nickels like you do - is it a difficult task to get a high grade, good eye appeal, strong strike, good luster, FS coin for this date?

11. rediddel 69

rediddel 69 New Member

#3 blast white

12. Lehigh96

This right here, this is scary that you know me that well. None of the coins shown in this thread are my in my registry collection. When I reveal the grades of the coins, I will also show my registry coin.

13. CamaroDMD

You know...I had the same thought. LOL.

14. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Its kinda like we've been chatting, discussing, arguing, disagreeing, and admiring each others coins for over 10 years.... Weird ;)

15. ddddd

ddddd Member

#3 slightly edges out the others but I'm with @physics-fan3.14 and don't love any of them.

I'll guess all three grade MS 66....the third one might be 5fs but I'm a bit hesitant as the picture makes it seem like too many of the steps are "blended" together

16. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

1) I am at 65 wouldn't be surprised if it has a FS designation.

2) 66 the two marks in the field obv and rev hurt the overall grade

3) 65fs medium strike with too much die deterioration and contact to make a premium grade.

My choice of the three was number 1

17. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

#3...I prefer blast white because they are usually the cheapest...I think they could all be from 65 to 67.

18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I like #1 the best

chascat likes this.
  19. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

20. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I went with #1. I really prefer the last one but the cut on his nose did it for me.

eddiespin likes this.
  21. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Oh boy. Just checked pride guide on 67 5FS and it’s $11k. :eek:

Lehigh96 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted