"Where's the Fire?": pictorial love token on 1875 Seated Liberty dime

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by lordmarcovan, Jun 27, 2017.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

"Where's the Fire?": pictorial love token on 1875 Seated Liberty dime

[​IMG]

Larger obverse picture
    Larger reverse picture

Host coin: 1875 USA Seated Liberty dime.
    Obverse: original Seated Liberty design, unaltered.
    Reverse: Victorian firefighter's hose carriage, name (undecipherable) engraved below.

Ex- "whitewolfcoins", eBay, 06/27/2017.

This is another special pictorial love token. It depicts a fireman's hose reel carriage of the period. The carriage
    shown (which I believe might have been pulled by men rather than horses) is contemporary to the host coin. It is apparent that the onetime recipient and owner of this love token was a fireman, though unfortunately his name, seen in fancy script beneath the carriage, received a bit too much pocket wear to be readable today. The rest of the piece has stood up well, however. It is likely that our Victorian fireman carried this coin on his watch chain.

I bought this within a week of buying another nice pictorial with a Victorian bicycle on it, from the same seller, for the same price. These were both exceptional pieces, and I didn't mind paying strong money for them. ("Strong money" for a love token is relative - still only a two-figure price tag in this case, as both pieces cost less than $100 each - if only just.)

Below is an image of a fire hose reel wagon of this era. Note the similarities to the one on the coin. It was originally published in The Popular Science Monthly in 1895.

[​IMG]
    (I reversed the orientation of the original image to make the carriage face right, like the one on the coin.)
    Image source 1: Wikimedia Commons
    Image source 2: The Popular Science Monthly, Vol. XLVII, via archive.org

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Very cool! I love reading about Love Tokens. The best are ones where you can at least glean a little information from the coin and learn a bit about its history. Thanks for sharing.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

another beauty

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Old thread resurrection, just… because.

6. Newbee03

Newbee03 Well-Known Member

I like that! I come from a some what line of fire fighters in my family so I think it would be cool to have one plus imagine the skills it would take to carve that detail into a dime!

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted