Where's George

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by dwhiz, Mar 17, 2019.

1. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I found this note and decided to check it out george.jpg wheres george 2.png

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I have done it.. I entered my location also then set it free.
    I wrote down the serial number to track it but then I lost it :(

BoonTheGoon and dwhiz like this.
  4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I've been doing where's George since 1999. Interesting hobby. No issue with registering on the sight and it is legal. I get a hit on about 8-10% of the notes I spend.

You don't have register to enter a note, so if you get one in change, consider entering it and make somebody's day.

Kasia and longshot like this.
  5. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I'm at less than 4% since 2013. :(

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I see a lot of them in my area. I think a local has there own stamp. I just ignore and spend it as it's damaged.

7. Neosynephrine

Neosynephrine Member

We find them in Colorado, then spend them on vacay in Kansas.

NOS likes this.
  8. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

I've run hot and cold for years... a bit over 11k bills with a 9.54% hit rate.

Some years a lot of bills, many almost none. I did a big push to make the comma club and faded after that. (Range fron 2k to 1 per year)

It's fun... I have hits in 49 of 51 "states", 3 Canadian provinces and 9 countries....

Oldhoopster likes this.
  9. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Sound like fun, maybe will take a stack with me when i visit Nashville and
    Orlando Next month.

dwhiz likes this.
  10. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

I'll make sure to enter any Where's George notes I find. However, interestingly, I've mostly seen W. G notes in the mutilated currency at banks. Unfortunate that they don't really circulate after getting to a bank.

Last time I got a Where's Geo. note from circulation was around 10 years ago.

11. mpcusa

Going down to the strip tomorrow, will take some $$$$ with me amd post
    Them, will be fun to see where they end up ")

12. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

a few weeks ago, Someone entered one that I spent in 2000

longshot likes this.
  13. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I've entered one or two when I've gotten a Where's George. I don't seem to see them very often.

14. Burton Strauss III

And yet my last 3 hits were entered 6, 6 and 3 years earlier...

15. mpcusa

so what is the best way to label it ? i think you can get red stamps, but
    will start labeling ( writing where,s george and see if i get some hits )

16. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

Check out the WG Forum
    There are links to places to get Stamps, I think writing the website on every bill would get tiresome...

17. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

I've been doing it for about six or seven years and currently have a 15.49% Hit Rate but still need three states to get them all.. for some reason I can't get Idaho, New Mexico or Wyoming but I have one bill that's been hit six times, started in NJ went to Florida then to Texas and last seen in Montana.

Also have a few international hits from Zimbabwe, Ecuador, Ireland, Ethiopia, Australia, Ukraine and a few others. I also use what's called a "signature stamp" (which can be anything you want) that I add to the bills I've found and entered before I send them on their way ... It's actually kinda of a fun hobby :)

dwhiz likes this.
  18. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

Not to keep blathering on about it but on the forums there are threads where people post their "Unique Hit Times" (sort of like fancy serial numbers) like if a bill is entered at 2 Yrs, 277 Days, 2 Hrs, 2 Mins that's "227722" etc.. so WGers are also into the minutiae of "collecting" hits...

There are also threads on what they call "Red Herring" Hits like I've had notes found in Glasgow (Kentucky), Berlin (New Jersey), Venice (Florida) and Denver (Pennsylvania)

Anyway... like I said, it can be fun :)

19. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

It's a revolving conundrum wherein users from the east have difficulty getting their last few states, which are typically in the west and often comprise Idaho, New Mexico and Wyoming while users from the west often have difficulty getting their last few states, which are typically in the east and usually comprise Maine, Vermont and West Virginia.

Interestingly, I received entries from New Mexico and Wyoming today on notes that were spent on road trips in Texas. My response to users who have been stuck waiting on their last few states for five, 10 or 15+ years or whatever is start saving up (start making sacrifices if one needs to- cut back on that Starbucks or pricey combo meal at Arby's, etc.) and plan a trip to these difficult states and spend some bills there.

I have been to each of these states and they all have something to see and offer in terms of natural beauty, culture, history, etc. They will then likely fall and you can be at peace knowing that 50 state bingo has finally been attained.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  20. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

The worst part is that my son went off to a Wilderness Camp last Summer in New Mexico and I totally spaced on giving him a stack of bills to spend... d'oh!!!

21. Burton Strauss III

Been there also got the I'm stupid T-shirt...

Last 4 States I need are all East Coast, so I start a project up in Maine and what do I do? Forget to bring bills and my stamp the 1st week...

4 months on and Maine and Rhode Island fell. Augusta is now in my top 10 zip codes.

And I still need DC and WV.

Draft saved Draft deleted