Where were hong kong coins minted?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Detecto92, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

They have such a weird edge, so do some India coins.[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

4. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Don't be a jerk. This is a legitimate question that none of those front page links fully answer.

Detecto, I'll see if I can check some British colonial references tomorrow. I suspect they were struck in London and Bombay.

Edit to say that I love lgtfy. Just be sure to only use it when a quick Google actually answers the questions. ;)

Bayern1900 likes this.
  5. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

List of mints that issued Hong Kong's coins in the past:[2]

http://www.hkartclub.com/coin/hkcoin/hkcoinhisteng.html

From the first link provided. Providing an answer, what a jerk thing to do. :rolleyes:

Ardatirion likes this.
  6. Bayern1900

Bayern1900 Member

7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

the edges of those coins are very cool. i've become kind of an "edge"man.

Eng likes this.
  8. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

According to my "useless" Krause book... Heaton and King's Norton.

9. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Apologies are in order. While that link doesn't entirely elucidate which issues were struck were, it certainly does answer the question. Mea culpa!

Not describing mint location is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Nine times out of ten, Krause neglects to note where coins were struck. At least in this case, they say, "Coins dated 1866-1868 struck at the Hong Kong Mint; coins without mintmarks dated 1872-1901, were struck at the British Royal Mint." One of my favorite moments in numismatics is when I was searching the internet for the location of the Chilean mint in the late 19th century. Krause was mute on the subject, but Google gave me a delicious Chilean corn soup with jalapeno mint salsa that I use to this day.

Draft saved Draft deleted