Where to get Roman sprintia "prostitution" coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by armoblog, May 22, 2010.

1. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

This is knowledge. Remember it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

There are modern bawdy tokens frequently made in plastic. Online research shows their web pages offering the bill of fare. Most Nevada brothels also offer souvenir silver strikes with a face value listed at $10 or $20. They are sold new for much higher prices. I know that the original post is old. I've just now become interested in spintriae and want to have easy access to any future posts. So far I've learned that the majority were found in HERCULANEUM and POMPEII and that they appear to have been issued over a two year period. I have also never seen a post on Roman Legion dog tags but I know they exist and would like to own one.

4. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I’ve never heard of spintria until now. It reminds me of a tour my wife and I took of ancient Ephesus during our honeymoon. They showed us one of the world’s oldest advertisements carved in marble, which was for, yes, you guessed it, the world’s oldest profession:)

5. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

This is not true. They are found across the empire, and never in any great numbers. There is no reason to suspect they were only struck across a two year period.

6. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

Reposted to elicit comments and gather knowledge. I quoted what I found online on the subject which stated the two year period in the first century AD. You objected which is a perfectly welcome comment. Would you be willing to refer us to some examples of other sites where they have been found? Anybody else care to weigh in on the topic? regards.

Draft saved Draft deleted