Where to get bulk uncirculated 1 Euro Cents?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Dougmeister, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Looking on eBay, but prices for a single roll are pretty steep. eBay.uk has some, but the one seller I contacted will not ship to the U.S.

I'm interested in any year from any of the following countries:
    • Lithuania
    • Finland
    • Greece
    • Monaco
    (It is because the designs would work well for the project I have in mind.)

I don't think the banks/mints sell directly to people? I also remember reading that they don't do boxes like we do here in the U.S.... they do bags instead? I'd buy a whole bag if I could, even if they were mixed.

Any ideas? I realize that shipping will be a bit pricey; I just don't want to get ripped off. Thanks.

Edit: a fellow CT'er from Europe helped me out last year and sent me an unopened bank roll of 1 Euro cents, which was awesome. I don't want to impose on them and really appreciate their help, but might contact them again if no one has any other ideas.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Could be tough ... Most mints and central banks in the euro area do not sell coin rolls to individual customers. Others do but may want a surcharge - and if I went to a commercial bank here in Germany, I would usually have to pay per roll: One roll of 1 cent coins contains 50 pieces, but the bank may charge €1 or so. :rolleyes:

Finland is one of the euro countries where cash totals get rounded to x.y0 or x.y5, so the two lowest denominations (1 and 2 ct) are not really common. And Monaco does not issue many coins anyway; here are the mintage figures (private website) for the two countries:
    https://www.2euro-overview.eu/auflagen.php?land=fi
    https://www.2euro-overview.eu/auflagen.php?land=mc

If a business in Germany orders coin rolls from the central bank (Deutsche Bundesbank), it has to order quite a few: Such rolls come in packs (one pack contains ten rolls), and the container that can be ordered contains 500 roll packs. So if you want all eight denominations, you get coins worth more than €300,000 ...

That is why cash services usually serve as "links" between the Bundesbank and commercial banks/businesses. And they want to get paid for their services of course. Bottom line, your plan may turn out to be difficult. May still be possible (last time I wanted to get a roll from a Bundesbank branch office, I told them it was for some preschool project, and they were nice and gave me one), but is not as easy as it used to be.

Christian

Dougmeister likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted