Where to get brand new $1 bills?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Detecto92, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

I called my credit union this morning and they did not have any new $1 bills, just used.

Who knows out of the major banks, which sell new bills?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Again, somewhat of an inane, not thought out question. You are where? And you expect us to tell you which banks carry new bills. I would suggest that you start calling or visiting the banks in your area and making contact with them. They are probably the best source of finding this out. Are you trolling?????

4. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

You just gotta call around or visit the different branches. The paper money guys is my area go from bank to bank almost daily to see what they can score. Some even withdraw from the ATMs to see what's been loaded in. It's not like going to Safeway and picking it off the shelves. You gotta be at the right place at the right time. If it was easy, everybody would be doing it. It depends on your obsession and passion.

5. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

That made me LOL.

6. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

i worked at a bank for many years and i will tell you calling a bank will get you nowhere. credit unions are usually tougher to get new bills just for the fact they are normally smaller banks and dont need to order as much money as a larger bank. you need to actually go to a branch of a major chain bank in your area. it would be preferable to be a bank that you have an account with, as most banks dont really care much about non customers. all banks have different shipment dates for their money. those are really the best days to go. the tough part of that is if you are not in good with the tellers more than likely they will not give you that information for obvious reasons. now as far as new bills do you mean 2009 series or just brand new uncirculated notes. the reason i ask is even large banks that get large orders of cash a week might get bricks of new notes but they could be from series of many different years. i know from personal experience we didnt always get new series notes. a lot of times they were from series from past runs. another thing is a lot of banks prefer to get rid of their older notes than have to order new money and even if they ordered money there was no guarantee it will be brand new. new bricks and straps of cash are very hard to count because they usually stick together. anytime they open up a new brick they have to piece count the notes to make sure there is the right amount. honestly most of my customers preferred older notes to the new ones. i dealt with a lot of businesses and they hated new notes. i have seen them go as far as crinkling up new notes to make them easy to count and distribute. i hope this information helps out a little. like i mentioned i am talking from my own personal experience because i dealt with the vault tellers on a daily basis. :thumb:

7. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Go to a Federal Reserve bank. That may be your best bet.

8. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Has anyone else noticed that Detecto has absolutely
    no desire to do any of his own research or legwork?

Has anyone else noticed that Detecto tries to look
    and sound like one of the big dogs only to come here
    and be found to be the fool?

9. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

10. lettow

lettow Senior Member

The Federal Reserve Banks only send money to other banks.

11. avr5700

avr5700 Member

I've had mixed results from tellers at the same bank. One might say 'we can't order new bills' and the next one takes your name/number and says that it will be about two weeks...go figure. So just ask and try different branches if one is stonewalling. Some banks get new bills in around the holidays just because they know that people want them to give as gifts. It's probably easier to get them to order for you around that time frame, but really shouldn't be any big deal at any time if you get the right employee to help.

12. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Yes.

13. avr5700

avr5700 Member

Forgot to mention that ATMs can of course be a source of new bills as well, as mentioned above. However, I've yet to see a ATM bill that didn't have a mark on it from the mechanism that pulls them from the stack one at a time. I don't like that mark, lite though it may be so ordering straps is the way to go to obtain them at face value and in a truly unmolested form.

14. VNeal

VNeal Member

stick with coins

15. wacky1980

wacky1980 Active Member

qft

if/when we get new notes at my bank, the tellers generally split the straps open and sort in older notes to keep the new ones from clinging to their neighbors.

new, crisp notes are only good to have when they hold a special purpose i.e. filling a collection or getting a fancy serial/star, etc etc. the other 95% of the time, they're just annoying.

16. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I remember at work in high school or college, we got a strap of new, CU ones. I bought the strap out, figured it'd be interesting to keep. So that's 50 sequential 2003 series ones. We'll see how that works out in the long run.

17. queeg9k

queeg9k New Member

Joined the forum just for this thread. Was the first hit on Google.

I need $400,000 in uncirculated one dollar bills for work. Bank of America has been helping me find it but say they can not order new bills? Where do I go next.

What should notes should I keep for myself out of the batch? I know star notes are collectible but what else?

Also- HI I AM A NOOB

18. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

:eek: ...I'm not even going to ask.

In general, banks can *request* new bills when they order currency from the Fed, but they can't *insist* on them. If the local Fed cash vault happens to have a big surplus of circulated bills that week, then they might not be shipping out any new bills at all, and the bank that requested them is just out of luck.

Depending on how large the BofA branch you talked to is, it might not even deal directly with the Fed--if it's small, it might order its currency and coin through another bank branch or cash vault, in which case it'll have even less control over what it gets.

For an order as large as 400,000 notes, you should probably try finding the largest bank branch in your area, and hope somebody there is on friendly terms with the local Fed personnel. They'd probably have to arrange a special shipment anyway--most banks don't routinely keep that much currency on hand!--so they might be able to ensure that it consisted of new bills....

Good luck...I think you're going to need it. :rolleyes:

19. queeg9k

queeg9k New Member

Called a different B of A and they are hooking me up with $70,000 on Tuesday.

So besides star notes is there anything I keep for myself (buy from the company) when we are going through it?

20. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

If it takes 1 second to look at each note, it will take 19.5 man hours to look at 70,000 notes!

21. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

Yeah, but if they're consecutive then you probably don't need to look at them all in order to find the good ones. The starting serial of each 1000-note bundle should be listed on the bundle label, if the notes are still in the original BEP packaging when they get to you.

Things to watch for:

* Radar (palindrome) serial numbers: 82655628 for example. These occur once in 10,000 bills on average, so you'd expect to get several in your shipment of 70,000.

* Repeater serial numbers: 82658265 for example. Also one in 10,000 bills.

* Binary serial numbers, with only two different digits: 82282888 for example. About one in 8750 bills, but they come in clumps--if you get a range of serial numbers that all start with 826xxxxx, then obviously it won't have any binaries in it, but if they start with 822xxxxx then you might find lots of these.

* Five or more in a row: 82655555, or 82666665, or 88888265 (and if you get that last one then you'll have several whole straps of pretty neat numbers!). Something like one in 3000 bills, so you'll likely find plenty of these. Actually, five-in-a-row would probably have only marginal collector value; six or more in a row is where the real interest would start.

* Rarer fancy serials, like solids (88888888) and ladders (87654321). Even with 70,000 bills to look through, you probably won't find anything this good. And of course, if you happen to get a shrink-wrapped bundle that starts with serial 00000001, then you just won the lottery.

* Star straps: You mentioned star notes, but be aware that most stars come in the form of full star straps, with distinctive candy-striped wrappers. You can identify these before you even take the shrink-wrap off....

* Rollover pairs: Whenever the serial numbering reaches xxxx9999 and xxxx0000, those two notes are nearly always replaced by stars--and these stars are nearly always from short runs, so they can have higher collector value than the stars from the full straps mentioned above. In a shipment of 70,000 bills, you ought to find several pairs like this. (In the unlikely event that the xxxx9999 and xxxx0000 bills are actually present, *not* replaced by stars, then those will also have significant collector value.)

There are probably more that I'm forgetting just now, but that list is a good start anyway.... :cool:

Draft saved Draft deleted