Where to find truly unsearched Wheat pennies

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tlasch, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Captainkirk

Captainkirk 73 Buick Riviera owner

If you can get some more money together, do a search on this forum - 'Budgood bags'.
    I have had great luck with them, one person even found a complete 1909-1958 set I believe.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bruce

Bruce Junior Member

That does look interesting... Let us know how you did.

4. Captainkirk

Captainkirk 73 Buick Riviera owner

5. Bruce

Bruce Junior Member

I am new at some of these search things what is 'Budgood bags'? I searched Google, and most of the hits were here at "CoinTalk"

6. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Budgood is a member here who was selling bags of coins in the classified section. He hasn't posted since January but still might be around.

7. SWThirteen

SWThirteen Needs a 24/7 Coin Shop

Too many posts to read them all..... too lazy.... Anyway, Pennies.com buys huge hoards of wheat pennies and divides them into even bags. They don't search them themselves, but it's hard to say who searched them before. Not sure what is there for 30 dollars though. They also have an ebay store - estate by weight - or something like that. They have something like 30,000 customers and all their bad feedback (which isn't much) is because someone didn't get a rare coin in the UNSEARCHED bag. Clearly unsearched doesn't mean "This bag is full of rare and expensive coins!!" They even mention someone that was upset that he didn't get 500,000 coins for 20 dollars!

... I digress ...

My brother has bought from them before. He didn't get anything rare. In most of their sets they also throw in some silver or VBD's or something.

Does anyone have experience with them? I would like to hear about it if you have.

8. Bruce

Bruce Junior Member

Buyer Beware

I have doubts about the “Never Searched” statement is true. I find it hard to believe that someone who is in the business to make money is willing to let high value coins slip through their fingers. When they advertise that you will receive at least one; Indian, Mercury, Roosevelt, Buffalo, etc. Do you seriously believe they did not look at the coin first. Maybe they are telling the truth, after all, they are selling some of their bulk coins well over the average estimater value. I purchased two shotgun rolls from one person, when I received the rolls, each end had what they advertised. However, inside was a different story, not very satisfying findings. Once again, Buyer Beware!

Has anyone tried the www.pennies.com?

9. JJK78

JJK78 Member

Bruce, I believe the post directly above your post talks about pennies.com so hopefully that answers your question. I doubt you can get anything truely unsearched these days unless you make the "find" yourself. I bought about $150 of wheat pennies on Ebay several years ago to search and pulled a bunch of silver coins from it but that was the kicker back then. Probably pulled $5 face in silver from them which was sweet... wish I could find more of those bags today!

10. Vroomer2

Vroomer2 Active Member

Why are we bumping months old threads?

11. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I bought one of their cull/damaged bags for fairly cheap, just for fun. There was a lot of steelies, mostly with rust or ones that have been plated. Also, a lot of early dates, one IHC. But all had dings, road rash, were dirty, etc. Fun to go through, but you get what you pay for.

Also, the fact that they have these coins for sale (damaged ones) makes me think that their lots are indeed searched. How else would they pull out the damaged ones? They just seed the occasional lot with an uncommon coin, and the higher prices of the lots cover the cost of putting a few keys or semi-key dates.

12. Bruce

Bruce Junior Member

I recently went to a bank and purchased $50 worth of pennies and $100 worth of dimes. Out of the 6,000-coin batch, I found 5- wheat’s and one 1957 Roosevelt, and no key-dates. To ensure I do not search the same rolls, I purchase a batch from one bank, and then deposit the searched coins into my bank.

13. SNDMN59

SNDMN59 New Member

I always have good luck at my local coin shop they sell ziplocks of 200 wheats. But about 10 days ago I should have known better by reading posts &
    threads I bought a pound of them unsearched on E-bay. They arrived packed loose in bubble mailer no flips , loose, out of a pound these were the only so called good dates.
    Rest were late 40's- 50's
    Will stick with my local coin shop, anyone who ship's coins in this manner has no apperciation for the hobby or customer.
    Sandy

14. elijahhenry10

elijahhenry10 New Member

I got a few rolls at a local coin show and had pretty good luck. I got about half of them 10's 20's and early 30's. Added a few to my book and they were only $2.50 a piece

15. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

I don't know how humanly possible this is on ebay, but maybe you will get lucky in a shop like a friend did.

16. indianpenny

indianpenny New Member

I bought wheat rolls from different sellers and I have to say there are some good deals and bad deals, I usually check for feedback before I buy and do a test buy " one roll" first and if it is good then I buy more. You can see right away by feedback. Thanks for your post, it is very interesting. I don't gamble but I do think buying a roll is gambling. IMO If you are looking for a particular coin JUST buy the coin and not the roll.

17. Prim and proper. Lame. !!

18. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Coin roll hunting?

19. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Yeaah...what he said! LoL

20. RalphMlaska

RalphMlaska New Member

https://www.vfcoins.com/wheat-penny-rolls

It is more than what you want to spend. But that is where you get the real deal. often times Indian's mixed whit the wheat pennies just all rolled together. I've got my 1909 svdb out of these rolls and my 1908s Indian from them. I'm just a collector selling off what I don't need which is many... But this is it. at least check it out!

21. Ozzman

Ozzman Active Member

Unsearched wheat rolls with a mercury dime or some other fabulous coin on the ends should be a dead giveaway that the roll has been rifled over hard. I would stay away from ebayers that offer them. Best place to find coins I found is Craigslist or OfferUp. Just my opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted