Where to find truly unsearched Wheat pennies

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tlasch, Mar 10, 2011.

1. DionHurst

DionHurst Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. elijahhenry10

elijahhenry10 New Member

I saw that a little while back, and I had thought about maybe buying off of him. For some reason he just seems like the kind of person you could trust.

4. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Careful.... This is marketing. The seller is creating an illusion using a pic with "his kids", a nice livingroom, a bright sunny day (can you hear the birds chirping?)

Buy, if you think it's a good deal. But, don't be disappointed if you get rolls of common coins.

5. DionHurst

DionHurst Member

This was a joke on my part just because it is an amazing picture to look at! When it comes to money I trust people as about as far as I can see them, and ones I know nothing about as far as I can throw them!

I'm not saying that there are not honest people but how do I know you are or not without spending years to get to know you. ;-)

6. PdlJmpr

PdlJmpr Junior Member

'
    No such thing as "UNSEARCHED," just the chance that the last searchers weren't looking for what you are searching for. Every once in a while I take a chance on a bag or roll on eBay or at a club auction and find something even if its just an upgrade. Last time was about 6 rolls I found two dates and a dozen upgrades, cost about $10 but I consider that a recreational expense like the gamblers do. You'll find them in the last place you look, so keep looking.

7. DionHurst

DionHurst Member

What's that site that people can lookup ebayers on to get a truthful rundown on their feedback??? Do you know? I've seen it posted on the forum a few times.

8. ikandiggit

Take a look at the pic in the lower left of the page of this company. Same company as on ebay (see their Me page). I'm just pointing out that it's a business. They're style of marketing is apple pie:

http://pennies.com/wheat-penny-collections.aspx

9. ikandiggit

10. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Same company. They've been using that pic since at least 2005, when I last bought an "unsearched" lot from them.
    When I did, I got a few steel cents, a few Unc., one semi-key date in poorer condition, and a handful of 10s, 20s, and 30s. It was actually a solid bunch.
    My theory is that they get a huge lot of common date 40s and 50s, then mix in coins. Add in a few rolls of steel cents, a few rolls of 1910s, etc. Then throw in a few semi-key and key dates. So some people will get nice coins, but most won't get enough to cover the auction cost. Then, when they sell it all, they've still made a profit.
    Just my theory.

11. DionHurst

DionHurst Member

Yes that is why I thought it was important to state that I was joking. That is why I try to fi d collections on craigslist hoping that I get stuff that the "collector" thought was worth keeping. Dealers are out to make money but people who inherit collections are looking for money but are flexible on the amount you give. They don't won't the hassle of going through the stuff so you can come to a mutual agreement for them and you.

12. ikandiggit

I'm not doubting that there are finds to be had. But they are going to be rare. I know the tactics that are used to move common items, having been in the antiques/collectibles business for a number of years. There are good dealers and there are those who'd ripoff their own Grandmothers if they had the chance.

I know some dealers who have items they can't move or paid too much for, that will list them on Kijiji or craiglist and sell them from their own homes giving the impression that the item had been in their families possession for generations. They make up a story that sounds plausible and if you find that the distressed 300 year old diningroom table that you paid $800 for is available brand new at Walmart for $95, you're stuck with it. Some of these people have no scruples at all.

13. DionHurst

DionHurst Member

14. tlasch

tlasch Penny Hoarder & Food Stamp Aficionado

I can digg that IKandiggit

my thing is, I was primerally asking has anyone used a seller for wheat cents that they liked? Good Mix etc.

Not asking if there are any out there. Sorry

15. stepthenwho

stepthenwho New Member

I was contacted by a guy on craigslist after posting an ad for wheat pennies! he said he had about 10,000 wheats that where unsearched. I bought them and he was right they where unsearched. Loaded with both D & S mint mark. Years from 1909 to 1958 and to my surprize a 1909 VDB in fine condtion. It was the first time I had ever got something good out of buying wheats.

16. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

I was pleasantly surprised today when a Mercury dime lot I got on eBay came. I looked through it and found 2-1928 D. One is a decent coin and the other more of a filler. There are still nice things out there, but I usually look at the feedback for the seller. Check the seller's other items and look at recent sales items. Then I look at what the seller has been buying. Obviously, if they buy a lot of coin supplies, they are more knowledgeable. Same if they sell a lot of coins. My best purchases are from dealers who specialize is something way different from coins. I think they might not know of all the different varieites and error coins I search for. IMHO

gary

17. lonewulf

lonewulf New Member

if you do ebay, they your just tring your luck. I bought a roll from a guy when i first started, and it really jump started my collecting career. It had a 4 teens, 3 20's, 5 30's a 43 steel, and every other year of the 40's and 50's except 59. He was a good seller, but i lost his name. :(

18. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Probably didn't have a '59 because they stopped making them in '58.

19. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

The single 59 Wheat has quite a story behind it. I lost the link, but maybe one of the guys can put it up ?

It's always a fun read.

20. EyeEatWheaties

EyeEatWheaties Cent Hoarder

It will cost $50 for the referral... lol do your own homework! For $20 I'll tell you how to increase your odds of finding "unsearched"

NOT TRUE! I have somewhere around 200k that have not been looked through in at least 30 years, I also have a zillion solid date rolls ( circulated that have not been searched.. These were rolled sometime in the mid 70's.. I don't have the patience.

21. Bruce

Bruce Junior Member

I seriously doubt if you will find “Truly Unsearched” wheat’s through the internet. I believe many of the “Discoveries” were due to an oversight made by the original seller. I can recommend that you spend some time visiting garage sales, ask your bank, and maybe Craigslist. On a regular basis, I purchase locally rolled pennies from my bank, and I have had some success. Also at work, they sell various items like soda, bottled water, candy etc. These items are not in the machine so many employees use their loose change, and I always buy their pennies. To date, I have spent about $50 and I have found (4) Indian heads and (15) Wheat’s. None of which were Key dates, but I put them in my collection anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted