Where to buy modern Greek coins?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by manny9655, Aug 20, 2020.

1. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

Several of my friends and I want to purchase the new Greek issues commemorating the Battle of Thermopylae. But in all the articles I've read about these coins (and I've seen several), there is absolutely no information on how to order them. Even the Greek mint's website said zilch as far as I could tell and I do read the language. Does the Greek mint have a distributor in the US or elsewhere that I can order coins from? I've tried looking at some of the dealers who sell foreign bullion and other coins, to no avail. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to get those coins if possible.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

4. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

Bradley Trotter likes this.
  5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Yeah, anything modern and Ebay is hard to beat. Problem is most moderns are not worth enough for auction firms to mess with unless in large lots. Might want to cruise around Numisbid and find an auction that happens to contain a large holding of modern Greek. I have seen such lots, like "282 modern BU Greek coins, some silver", kind of thing. Might be an instant collection!

Bradley Trotter and manny9655 like this.
  6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

7. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Well, I just learned something new.

8. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

9. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

from an article in the Greek Reporter:

"One of the two commemorative coins, which will soon enter circulation across the Eurozone has the value of €2." ** I found mintage for this "Maximum mintage of 735,000 pieces for circulation in rolls and 10,000 BU coin cards" **

"The other one is a silver commemorative coin which can be bought by collectors. Not in general circulation, its nominal value will be €10."
    ** I saw mintage for this is 3000 pieces **

"Greece will also issue a commemorative coin celebrating the 2,500th anniversary of the Naval Battle of Salamis. Its nominal value will be €10 and collectors will soon be able to buy that as well."

there's also a €2 COMMEMORATIVE CIRCULATION COIN DEDICATED TO: “100 YEARS SINCE THE UNION OF THRACE WITH GREECE”
    **Maximum mintage of 743,000 UNC coins in rolls for circulation and 5 000 BU coin in coincards**

€200 GOLD COIN DEDICATED TO: “THE PERSIAN WARS”
    Material: Gold 917/1000 and silver.
    ** mintage maximum issue 750 coins**

€100 MINI GOLD PLUS COIN DEDICATED TO: “GREEK MYTHOLOGY – THE OLYMPIAN GODS – HERMES”
    Material: Gold 999/1000
    maximum issue 1,200 coins

yah know what? I'm tired already of this, article is here if interested LOL:
    https://numismag.com/en/2020/02/23/2020-greek-numismatic-program/

10. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Oh and I found Royal Scandinavian Mint, it's in Utah??m anyways, they sell the
    €2 coin for $5.95

manny9655 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted