Where to buy correct Acetone?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by capthank, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I've worked with Toluene on and off for years. Always under a fume hood, but I never had a problem with the odor.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Go for it :yack::dead::D

[​IMG]

4. Packrat

Packrat Well-Known Member

I think, this was over 40 years ago, instructions said to put a cap full in a gallon of water. He put the stop bath in first then poured water in. KABOOM! Second time he spilled something on the floor and threw a dirty towel on top of it. Not sure of the chemicals in either the towel or the liquid. Same problem. I always tried to be more careful. At any rate, that orange colored stop bath packed a powerful punch.

5. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I think every chemistry course EVER advises adding acid to water and not vice versa.

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

One of the things I want to Get Around To is using the thermal cam to do a video showing exactly why you don't add water to acid. Only problem is, it can't see through any of the safety shields I've got, and I don't want acid splashing on it.

7. b45

b45 Junior Member

The little boy did what he otter, he put the acid in the water.

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Especially a concentrated acid like Glacial Acetic would be. Most acids the average person comes in contact with have already been diluted to some extent.

Draft saved Draft deleted