Where to buy an uncirculated roll of Morgan dollars?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Coinsnake, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Coinsnake

Coinsnake MorganMan

Does anyone have suggestions except eBay? I want uncirculated one year, one mint, non mixed coins from before 1921. I only want to spend around $500. Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. HULLCOINS

HULLCOINS Junior Member

I haven't found any yet... so sometimes dealers get them. I gave up on it:(

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Since the Morgans were released from the mint in canvas bags of 1000, rolls are either original bank rolls or "put together rolls of searched and rejected coins". Occasionally a hoard will be dispersed, but if there is any chance they are unsearched, the auction price is many times the greysheet price ( which reflects the "put together" aspect). 20 or 30 years ago, wrapped rolls were more common in auctions, but with the high prices of gems, today the owner would not be normal if they did not break it up and slab them. You can still find GSA Morgans ( individuals) in original "sealed box", but they also sell high.

Jim

5. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Chances are when you buy a roll it will be picked over and probably get nothing but 58's and 60's. Any dealer that's worth his salt will go through it if it hasn't been searched 10x already. Best bet would just to buy and roll yourself. IMHO

6. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

I think the chances of this endeavor are quite slim.

When the Mint began releasing Morgans in 1962, stored for many years because of the unpopularity of these on the eastern side of the U.S., they were selling them off at face value in 1000-coin bags. Many numismatists were buying as many bags as they could, searching through them for rareties, and exceptional grades, and making them available for collectors nationwide. The lower grades and common dates and mms, were sold off for melt or junk silver.

When the Mint began storing Morgans in the late 1800s, the bags were filled with random dates and mms, and no records were kept as to what was in the vaults. Even when they started releasing the Morgans in the early 60s, it was a grab-bag deal. Whatever was in a 1000-coin bag one would buy was what they got.

7. HULLCOINS

HULLCOINS Junior Member

There is no chance of getting an original canvas bag unsearched is there?

8. djaeon

djaeon Member

I wouldn't say "impossible", but very improbable I would think.

9. ChurnDog

ChurnDog Junior Member

It isn't impossible. I have come into a couple of these bags from my grandfather's collection, but I am not in the market to sell. So maybe you'll find someone who inherited them and doesn't want to go through the trouble of searching through them.

10. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

I would say absolutely not.

11. panda

panda Junior Member

i am not saying you are wrong, but why not? i am just curious? i am sure when they sold them during the '60's some collectors kept a few bags sealed. just like people do with rolls and such. being in the '60's, i would imagine a few would have passed on since then or are close to it. so someone inherits them and doesn't mess with the collection and leaves the bag sealed to be sold. i am sure you wouldn't be able to get a bag for anywhere close to 1000, maybe around $15-$20 grand..

i personally never have seen a bag for sale, but am just curious to know..

12. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

That would be the only way possible.

13. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

As I stated before, when the Mint released 1000-coin bags of Morgan dollars, which had been stored since the late 1800s, the public went into a frenzy, and bought as many bags as they could, searched the bags for rarities and high grade Morgans, and those of lower grades were sold for melt or as junk silver.

The release occured in 1962, and ended in 1964 and the Mint sold the bags at face value of $1000.

Several well known numismatists were buying 20 - 30 bags of these Morgans at a shot.

Pick up the Redbook: A Guide to Morgan Silver Dollars by Q. David Bowers. It's loaded with information about the early 60's release of Morgans in 1000-coin bags.

14. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

Id say that you are way off the mark........once again

15. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

And I say you need to read my posts after the one you quoted.

16. hamman88

hamman88 Spare some change, sir?

I believe some members here own unopened bags.

17. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

Possibley.

18. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

What about the Battle Creek Collection? Also you cannot consult your Redbook for every answer. Its a guide not a Bible

19. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

This is the very last time I will address you:

How many other hoards of early 60s release Morgans have been heard of?

Secondly, you should pick up Bowers book on Morgans and read it. You might learn something.

20. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

i bought a few original rolls (common dates) in early 1980's.

21. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

There's a fellow on here who has purchased and sold a few CC mint sealed bags... big money... think he said 6 figures.

Draft saved Draft deleted