Where is a good source of WWII era world coins?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by dlgilles, Apr 6, 2017.

1. dlgilles

dlgilles Member

I am fairly new and only go to the small local show. I'd like to find a good on-line source of coins of WWII. No high value coins, but decent quality. I'm working on a type set from the many (many) countries involved and buying a few here and there will take me forever. I'm not too sure about buying coins on Ebay. thanks!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I'd wager most online dealers sell through eBay. Discounting that method is going to eliminate a whole bunch of them from your list and I would suggest not doing that. That said, https://www.ma-shops.com is another aggregator of many dealers that I've used with no problems.

dlgilles and SchwaVB57 like this.
  4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Because most ( but of course not all) world coins of that era are relatively inexpensive, few dealers would take them very far. Maybe a coin show in your nearest larger city.

You do have more than 10 posts so, you could post here in the 'wanted' area, and mention the kind of coins you might consider.

Ebay can be a 'scary' place, but buyers have decent protections as long as the rules are followed and no 'friends and family' transactions. Jim

dlgilles likes this.
  5. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

On MA-shops (Germany).

dlgilles likes this.
  6. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Most dealer junk bins are full of WWII era coins. That's your first and most economical place to start.

afantiques, dlgilles and Hiddendragon like this.
  7. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

As a primarily internet buyer, finding gem/near gem mid 20th century coins for the countries I'm most interested in is not easy. Even or especially for those 'low catalog value items'. Or maybe it is and I haven't figured it out yet.

dlgilles and sakata like this.
  8. dlgilles

dlgilles Member

Took your advice, found a very well rated seller and spent $30 and bought a bunch of coins. Thanks.

Dave M and Kentucky like this.
  9. dlgilles

dlgilles Member

Yes, due to the expense, I am starting with a good quality type set. No rare or gem quality coins for now unless I get lucky!

10. samclemens3991

samclemens3991 Well-Known Member

i am afraid I cannot assist you, but I did want to tell you I think that is an interesting set to build. will you do a set for both sides?

11. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Most coin shops (as do I) have buckets of WWII era minor coins. Finding Gems can be a real challenge though.

Have fun!

dlgilles likes this.
  12. dlgilles

dlgilles Member

I don't plan to separate the dies for now. I am starting by putting the countries in the order they were involved. Japan, Manchuria, then Italy, Ethiopia... and on. I'm sure it will evolve, just beginning this challenge.

Stevearino likes this.
  13. dlgilles

dlgilles Member

thanks everyone for the great advice. I have wanted to start this for the last 2 years and have picked up bits of coins, but finally have time to start planning the organization. Again, thanks.

14. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

Dealer junk boxes, seriously. Dig in and have fun.

dlgilles likes this.
  15. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I'm doing a subset of WWII era coins.
    It's a world birthyear set (1941).
    Not looking for high quality, just reasonable coins.

16. dlgilles

dlgilles Member

Good way to scale down the WWII set. I'm just trying to do a sort of type set, but it will keep me busy for a long time.

17. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Please consider me a bit slow :) Is that the order that countries were involved in WWII? I thought Germany would be up there somewhere...

18. dlgilles

dlgilles Member

Dave, I considered having it start with Germany, but while Hitler was talking, Japan invaded Manchuria and Italy invaded Ethiopia. These actions played into the war and who liked who and how the war was fought. Makes a bit of sense to me and allows me to rationalize more coins in the collection!! :)

19. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I completely agree with you on this - I'm just showing my (lack of) depth of the beginnings of the war.

20. dlgilles

dlgilles Member

Dave M - that is part of what I like about this set, I am learning a lot about coins and world history.

21. dlgilles

dlgilles Member

1942China1.JPG 1942China2.JPG So- I can finally ask... any idea what these coins are. It were labeled as China 1942, and the price was low, so I bought it. In the catalog all I can find are a other coins with the symbol from the reverse side, and they are from the Suiyuan province, that time frame. None of them have the profile picture on them. I have a suspicion it is not a 1942 coin. Thanks for any help.

Draft saved Draft deleted