Where is a good place to by rolled coins becides the bank?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Gandolff00, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Gandolff00

Gandolff00 New Member

I was told by my bank that they do not sell to collectors because they just return the coins and it wears out the sorting machine. Sounds like the machines job to me. Any thoughts on other places to buy and return rolled coins?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Can see why the bank wouldn't want to put up with that. You're costing them money in the manhours their employees are using in dealing with you, and the wear and tear on the machine, all for no profit to the bank. Banks are businesses; they're not public not-for-profit service organizations that exist only for your convenience. I say use Coinstar, at least then you're paying for the privilege of the service.

4. lotusboyrulz

lotusboyrulz Member

I buy my coins at multiple banks (Columbia bank, us bank, Wells Fargo ). Then I drop them off at my bank that I have an account with. all the banks i have gone to besides harbor stone and key bank are willing to sell me coins, I am only 15. and my bank said as long as they are rolled they will take up to $50,000 a week. i only have a minor savings account with $0.58 . may i ask what bank you are going to.

5. marid3

marid3 Member

I agree with Troodon, but there are lots of Coin Roll Hunters out there - I'm occasionally one. So how to resolve being a mooch and yet CRH? Here's what I do. I belong to a credit union where I have almost all of my funds deposited, all my banking services, etc. I've been with them for a long time. So in addition to the fact that they're a member-organization, versus for-profit (they return excess revenue in the form of dividends to members), I've also used LOTs of services, so I'm not costing my fellow members. That's where the cost is to the banks/credit unions, and THAT's where I dump my coins. Besides, I've never found more than an occasional coin FROM the credit union. So I get coins from a commercial bank account I set up, and dump at my CU.

Hope that helps. b

6. hrhomer

hrhomer Member

Why does the bank need to know that you're a collector? Return them to a different bank.

7. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I bank with multiple banks and credit unions. I now have deals where I buy up all excess CWR that my credit unions get. I have a couple of banks with sort of stinky policies on selling rolled coin - but I have the vault teller and even the branch manager on my side so I still manage to buy up boxes of coin even though I am not a commercial customer. Doing nice things for your bank or credit unions people always puts you at the front of the line. I have mine paid off with boxes of candy, gift cards, hockey tickets, baseball games, another one is getting a gift card for Babies R Us since she is expecting soon.

The credit unions call me twice a week when they reach a certain level of rolled coin and I come in and buy it all up. Curiously I have found about half a dozen tellers that are sort of collectors themselves and I don't mind trading goodies with them to keep the finds a coming.

Now I know I have local competition, but I also know they don't get calls and actually tellers have told them they didn't have anything to sell because of their attitudes. It is a dog eat dog world out there in CRH land and I am determined to be at the top of the pack.

8. Gandolff00

Gandolff00 New Member

America First Credit Uniln. I have been there for about 25 years

9. 16d

16d Member

I've quit using banks, fees for getting, returning, or just refused mass amounts of coinage. I'm in the NW, where their is a chain of check-cashing joints. They can get boxes in 24 hrs; vs. a week for my bank(s). I can return as much as I like, providing it's put into an acct. Soon, there will be no such thing as simply ordering boxes. It cost the banks 3-5 per box to get, and most pass along the cost here now. The check folks tell me they dont have future plans for this. It doesn't hurt to throwem a bone once in awhile. I knew some people looking for a title loan & brought them in. And a box of donutholes goes a long way.

10. mmablaster

mmablaster Member

Number 1 is to have an account at the bank you are using. Coinstar at my grocery doesn't charge if you get a gift card to the store so I typically use that to return stuff.

11. Gandolff00

Gandolff00 New Member

I did take that into consideration so before I ordered coins I talked to the branch manager and told her what I was going to do. She said that it would be fine. When I returned the coins to the branch that the manager told me to that is where the trouble took place. I offered to roll the coins instead of putting them throught the machine but the gentleman I was talking to didn't like that either. Thats why I put a post on here. I thought that there might be some place besides the banks where I can purchase rolled coins.

12. Gandolff00

Gandolff00 New Member

Thats pretty cool the way you have it setup. I will have to try something like this. Thanks.

13. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Local dealers and B&Ms near you.

14. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Never ever take the coins back to the place you got them in the first place. Creates bad juju.

15. silvered

silvered Active Member

I manage a retail store, any time I feel the need to go on the hunt I tell my bookkeeper what I need and it is there two days later. After im done with it I take what's left to my credit union that I have been with for 12 years.

16. gubni

gubni Active Member

Yeah buy them at any bank other than your primary bank, then only deposit them to your account. Never ask them to cash the coins for ya.

17. Gandolff00

Gandolff00 New Member

good advice. Thanks for all of the input.

Draft saved Draft deleted