where do you think this proof $ will close at??

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mullah, Dec 15, 2019.

1. mullah

mullah Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I wouldn't think it would go too much higher than it already is ($1276 currently).

I think that coin is generally unattractive - very dark toning like that does not appeal to me, especially with spots.

Also, coins don't just get graded 61 for no reason. Those pictures are designed to hide whatever problems the coin has. Usually, 19th century proofs in the 60-62 range have quite a few hairlines. No amount of resubmitting is going to hide that or remove that. You might get lucky with a resub and get a 62, but it doesn't look like this coin has a big price jump to 62.

I don't think the upgrade is nearly as convincing as you do - but that's the point behind the small and dark pictures!

Troodon and Penna_Boy like this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

The PCGS full view seems to support that. Also, given the lighter patch around the black spot, I'd guess someone's already tried to work on it and given up.

6. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

$1401 now...2:45 to go.

7. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Boy, what an unattractive coin. The toning appears to be borderline terminal. I would stay away.

8. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Too dark for my taste though original. I think a dip would actually help this one if carefully done

9. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

This!

OP - may I ask why you thought it would be an upgrade candidate? I'm wondering if you're grading it like you would a business strike Morgan and wondering how such a clean looking cheek/fields could be a 61? If so like others have mentioned often it's a sea of hairlines that causes the grade and those aren't going to show clearly on pictures. Grading proofs from pictures isn't wise if you want to buy a proof Morgan I would get one from a trusted dealer whose opinion you can bank on or in person, personally. A nice proof Morgan is beautiful, a hazy, dark one with minimal mirrors riddled with hairlines is not so nice and in hand you can really tell the difference and pick a nice one out.

10. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Purchases of PR61 Morgans typically end in regret. If you're looking for a proof Morgan type coin (not a 78 Rev 79,. 95, 21 Chapman, or legit branch mint proof), don't buy anything below 63 or 64. At that level, there are still attractive coins.

11. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

It looks like somebody tried to lift the spot on the reverse. In the old days, that used to be called "improperly cleaned" and got a body bag. Now it gets graded.

Draft saved Draft deleted