Where do you think this 89 CC will grade at?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by goldrealmoney79, Aug 1, 2020.

1. goldrealmoney79

goldrealmoney79 Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

There are reasons it's raw. Looks messed with, and authenticity???
    The eagle's breast looks weird.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    NSP, Inspector43 and Penna_Boy like this.
  4. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

I'll go with what longshot said. An 1889 CC in AU goes for thousands. No TPG (PCGS/NGC) slab makes me filled with caution. I wouldn't buy it.

NSP and Inspector43 like this.
  5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor and ignore all the raw 89 CC

NSP likes this.
  6. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

It will certify anywhere you are willing to pay and wait. But it won't straight grade.

johnmilton and Hoky77 like this.
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Suspicious over bright lighting trying to hide something.
    Lot's of scratches. Probably dipped and or cleaned. If it was a legit straight grade AU, you have to ask yourself, why the owner didn't have it graded, where it is an
    ($8,000?) coin, but instead, is willing to roll the dice and auction it off where it could hammer at $3,000 or less. The auction ends in 99 minutes. Sure there are plenty of people who will snipe it up at the end (or shill it up), but when they receive the coin they may return it if not satisfied. These aren't the droids you're looking for.

capthank and Inspector43 like this.
  8. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

“If you need to contact me, please contact me through my email address.“

It seems the seller is trying to avoid eBay PMs. Why would they do that? Just saying.

capthank and Inspector43 like this.
  9. baseball21

Lots of legit sellers and listings attempt that too if for no other reason to try and set up the sale outside of eBay and avoid the fee

capthank likes this.
  10. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Not in this case, as the seller says the email address will be provided after payment via PayPal.

capthank likes this.
  11. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

Too many nos on this coin. I would pass.

12. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

I would not even remotely consider it

13. Malleus Maleficarum

Malleus Maleficarum Well-Known Member

The seller has to many red flags for me to consider buying anything from them. The pictures of all the coins they have look sketchy. There's something off. This seller has quite a few seemingly very nice coins for sale. None of them are graded. All raw. Not that would necessarily mean anything. But in this day and age, the majority of reputable sellers have their most expensive coins in slabs from one of the better grading companies.

All the past auctions are private. Why is this? Are they trying to prevent people from researching the coins they sold? It's not like they're protecting the identity of the buyer. eBay does that automatically.

-jeffB, capthank and micbraun like this.
  14. LRC-Tom

LRC-Tom Been around the block...

AU details, cleaned. Assuming it's genuine.

capthank and Hoky77 like this.
  15. baseball21

Definitely a no go for a buyer there. At best that's probably phishing for emails

16. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

The seller has almost 10,000 feedbacks with a 100% positive rating. You don't get that being a scammer. So far the coin is at 1/3 of it's value as a untouched original coin meaning it has issues. That being said it looks like a very difficult hole to fill will sell at a price that many collectors who can't afford to pay full value will be happy to pay. It is easy to say "I wouldn't touch this coin" if you regularly dish out 10 grand for the best but for a collector who skimps and saves for a tough one this is a blessing, you just have to accept the flaws.

Jeffjay, capthank and Beefer518 like this.
  17. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The really high grade 1889-CC dollars are frequently, if not always Proof-Like. I learned this when I filled my want list requests for it as a dealer. This one, it it’s genuine, has no luster at all. It’s surfaces have stripped. If it’s real, it would get a “details grade” from a TPG.

This is one of those coins I would Have never sold raw when I was a dealer. There were too many counterfeit coins out there. Today that problem has increased by 10 fold at least.

Hoky77 and capthank like this.
  18. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

I think it's a low AU maybe even EF coin that may have been cleaned. It does appear to be a legitimate VAM-5 example. Looking at the seller's other auctions confirm that he's using a flat bed scanner.

Hoky77 and capthank like this.
  19. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It sold for $3081.
    I would look for this coin to be returned, and relisted. When the buyer
    realizes he can't flip it.

micbraun and capthank like this.
  20. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I am one of those that won't click on links (I use Hughes Net satellite and have limited download limits) so can't opine on the coin. Many here don't appreciate having to click on unknown, or even known, links so it would be helpful (to us and you) to post actual photos of coins you have questions about.

21. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Great answer Mountain Man. I'm with others I wouldn't even consider it and I'm a Morgan man.

Draft saved Draft deleted