Where do you store your pocket change?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mcz0804a, May 16, 2018.

1. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

For me it's a 2ft. ceramic, standing Porky Pig bank in full color sheriff's outfit. They make them down in Mexico. I put coins in there and dollar bills, no pennies. Each year I open it up and use the money for the grand kid's Christmas.

Garlicus likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mcz0804a

mcz0804a Member

@serafino I love the outcome. Do you have a pic. Seems like a colorful piggy bank.

4. iontyre

iontyre Active Member

I have a variety of containers : pretzel container for my copper cents, coffee mug for my Zincolns, old ceramic bowl for my quarters, ovaltine jar for my dimes, and a Glad food storage container for nickels. The Zincolns, quarters, dimes and nickels get rolled up and returned to the bank just before going to the next Baltimore Whitman Coin Show. Helps pay for my new stuff.

5. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Ammo Cans. Good idea.

I take all my change and separate it into pennies, quarters, and other.
    The pennies get sorted into decades. Those get put into various sized containers such as old 1970s coffee tins, chewing tobacco tins, modern tupperware, meat stick/jerky plastic containers etc.

The quarters I separate into more modern State stuff and older Washington/Eagles in separate containers.

I'll pick out more "special" looking ones to look at or post in my pocket change thread. They all just sit in storage. I may cash in the "other" container from time to time.

But, like you, I don't know why either. I've been doing it forever, and my dad has and still does it too. I'm sure the decades old penny stashes would have the penny collectors drooling for months.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I like the ammo cans because a couple of years of pocket change is quite heavy and the ammo cans have handles. They get a tad nervous when I carry them in the bank though.....;)

PlanoSteve, jwitten and Clawcoins like this.
  7. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

I have 1 coin tube for each 1-,5-,10-,25-cent denomination. Every day I empty my pocket, look at each coin, pull out the one's I need (i.e. hole fillers), put the rest in the tubes, roll them as each tube gets filled and then go to bank when I accumulate about $50 or so.

No idea why anyone hoards useless modern coinage.

8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I have a five gallon glass jug for the clad coinage.
    This one is for pre 82" cents. I found the jar in the grocery store parking lot. 20180517_121321.jpg
    This one is for the unsearched pocket change. It's over full right now. Gonna need a new jar. 20180517_122035.jpg

9. Clawcoins

because ....

We have to. It's in our DNA.

and it will drive the kids nuts asking the same question ...

10. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Check your ancestry! :wacky:;)

Clawcoins and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I spend it so it doesn't pile up.
    My theory says that everyone in America has at least 3 dollars in pennies in a jar in their house. That's 1 billion pennies, or 10 million dollars just lying around. In the old days when banks and money markets paid interest that's just throwing away $400,000 a year.
    So, I don't want to contribute to that, and I spend it as soon as I can.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    PlanoSteve likes this.
  12. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I'll just say..... I never have to worry about needing quarters at the car wash.........

13. Clawcoins

Yes, we need PICS !!

mcz0804a likes this.
  14. bsshog40

bsshog40 Senior Member

5 Gal. jug for clad and nickels, 3 gal. jug for cents.

coin jugs.jpg

Mkman123 likes this.
  15. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

16. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

I spend pocket change as quickly as possible.

Spark1951 and dwhiz like this.
  17. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Obviously, I don’t.

D97C2875-DD74-4C9B-AC89-E9FCE86379B9.jpeg

dwhiz and Gilbert like this.
  18. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

got change in my work bag, my casual bag for bringing a book along with me, in a few pill bottles, in my car, pre-82 cents in a big glass bottle, and the rest of my change goes in a plastic jug that i fill and take to coin counter machine at my local credit union

19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

20. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

*coins, Garlicus and ldhair like this.
  21. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

Penny boxes! They are very sturdy.[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted