Where do you purchase coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Longacre, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Longacre

Longacre New Member

Where do you normally purchase your coins? I am looking for a nation-wide dealer who has fair prices and a good selection. I usually collect gold coins, but occasionally I buy other less expensive series in-between due to the high price of gold coins.

It seems the better coins are offered in auctions, but lately it seems the prices are getting out of control, and on top of that you need to pay a 15% premium.

So I was just curious where people buy from. FYI--I live in Connecticut, so if there is a local dealer in-state, that would be helpful too. Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. collect4fun

collect4fun Senior Member

Local dealers, coin shows, Ebay, friends

4. CohibaCris

CohibaCris New Member

Local dealers (Raleigh, NC) and coin shows within 4 hours of Raleigh.

5. sylvester

sylvester New Member

Showing my antiquated methods, from dealer lists through the post (and latterly off of their websites), and from a coin shop. (No Ebay for me).

6. hhearst

hhearst New Member

First off, I buy most of my coins to resell, so how I buy is probably different than you. I buy what ever I think has profit in it. Then sometimes, I fall in love with something, and I just keep it. Anyway, my best friends :) are those dealers who buy a lot of coins over the counter in their retail shops. I know a couple of dealers who have thriving business in major metro areas, and I am amazed at what people bring in and what the dealer pays for it. I also like to buy at auctions, however not were I live. I also live in New England (near Boston) and all the auctions I have been to in New England have been very competitive. Usually, everything starts at wholesale. I tend to do much better in coin auctions that are outside of New England. The travel is not bad, because I tie auctions in with family visits.

Hope that help.

- Hal

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I buy my coins in just about any venue you can think of - auctions, live and on-line, dealers, friends, other collectors, ads, coin shows - if they sell coins - I've bought 'em.

8. Seven

Seven New Member

I buy 90% of all my coins at local dealers. I went to the coin show in Portland not long ago with a wad of cash in my pocket but walked away with nothing. Everything I found I wanted was almost twice the cost of what I could get at my local dealers.

I've bought some notes off ebay, and from a few websites, but I mostly stick to my locals for the best prices.

9. Jaeru

Jaeru New Member

I've been lurking for about a month or two now, and I figured it's about time to participate instead of watching.

As for me, I buy most of my stuff at various coin shows. There's more selection and better prices than locally, at least around here. Websites often have better prices, but once you factor in the shipping, it's often not much of a difference, depending on how much you're buying.

10. CohibaCris

CohibaCris New Member

Jaeru, welcome!
    I run into the same issue. I live in the metropolis of Spring Hope, NC. The town's fame is a Burger King - swear on a stack of 'em.

Keep participating, and ask questions if you have them! Especially if they involve an opinion, those we like the best! :p

11. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

I prefer coin shows, but will buy coins anywhere if the source is good.

12. aem4162

aem4162 New Member

local dealer, ebay

13. CHAMELEON

CHAMELEON Toned Coin Enthusiast

Where I Get Coins

Ebay Does Draw High Bids A Lot Of The Time. If You Try Placing Low Bids Often Enough Though, You Will Hit On Some Real Bargains Every Now And Then. Another Good Place To Search For Coins Is In Antique Stores. A Lot Of Them Have Coins (sometimes With Prices Marked Years Ago). One Other Good Place To Find Great Coins Is Teletrade Auctions. They Often Bring Very High Bids, But A Lot Of The Time There Are Some Real Nice Coins That Go For Below Wholesale. Hope This Helps.

14. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

I've had little success at dealers (they never seem to have what I want, and when they do they're insane on their prices). Shows and ebay do it for me. Also, I've gotten some great things from private collectors.

15. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

Most of mine come from a local dealer, coin shows, Ebay and other collectors.

16. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

Ebay and local shows. Really looking forward to the ANA show in March, can't wait.

17. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

18. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I've pretty much abandoned Ebay and the local dealers. Now, I do all serious purchasing from a few internet dealers, which saves time and gas also. I also like to hunt through antique shops where you can find the occasional bargain priced coin, token, silver round, and mint set.

19. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Thalia and Kieran's Dad

Local shops, one in particular.

I've also purchased at local coin shows and at my coin club's auctions (held nearly every meeting!).

My coin club includes a number of part time dealers as well.

eBay is great for "window shopping" but that's about it at this point.

20. Coinlover

Coinlover The Coin Collector

flea markets, and antique shops. i think this is the best places to find cheap coins! :cool:most people there don't have an idea what they are selling and just want to get rid of it. i've also bought coins at county fairs before becuase the guy was selling coin sets and i asked him about it, and i bought all of his coins! :eat:he said his wife told him to sell it all and he offered it to me since i was a yn i guess.

21. Coinlover

Coinlover The Coin Collector

this thread is from 2004, just to let you guys know. i guess it dosn't matter anyhow lol.

Draft saved Draft deleted