Where do you keep your collection?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by jmf2737, Apr 16, 2011.

1. jmf2737

jmf2737 New Member

I'm guessing most of you guys have a safety deposit box at the bank. Since I'm just starting out and don't have anything extremely valuable yet, I'm not to that level yet (although I hope to be someday:))

Right now I keep all my notes in the sleeves in a Sentry lock box in my apartment similar to this:

http://www.sentrysafe.com/Products/1/1100_Fire_Chest

Is this OK, or do you experts recommend anything else to store notes in?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

I live in an apartment too.It is an 8 floor concrete building with a guard in the lobby. People coming in the back door have to be recognized before being buzzed in. No break-in robberies have ever occurred here in 20+ years. I don't have a sentrysafe or anything......yet. I do have a safety deposit box.
    If your building is not secure I recommend you get a small safe and bolt it down in a closet. That is my humble opinion.
    If someone breaks into your apt. they can very easily carry off your sentrysafe brief case type safe.

4. sgiorgis

sgiorgis Student of Numismatics

in a convenient location where I can enjoy them! ;)
    Steve

5. jmf2737

jmf2737 New Member

I live in an apt in a house actually. Decent neighborhood (I know that means nothing these days.) Someone's always home and the guy across the street is in everybody's business too. The way the house is situated, it would be hard to break in there.

You're right though, I always think about if someone breaks in, how useless that sentry safe is if someone could just carry it out and pry it open, lol.

I wonder, does a safe always have to be bolted down in a closet if its wedged in tight? Not sure if I want to put bolts in the floor in a house that's not mine even though I've been there a long time.

6. jmf2737

jmf2737 New Member

You see, that's what I don't like about a safety deposit box. If I want to take it out to look at or show somebody, I have to go to the bank.

7. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

I agree with you jmf2737. And at my Citizens Bank the system they use to find your card and sign it is very unprofessional
    at best. Truly terrible. I'm ready to change banks.
    I believe That I could bolt my safe down if I bought one. Man right into concrete, take a dozer to get it out. But if I had to move I'd be the one trying to remove it. OH, OH, this is not good cause I do want one.

8. ronterry

ronterry New Member

Are you talking about a ground safe? Cause that's the route I want to take! Right into the foundation! Chisel a spot, plop that sucker right in the middle, and fill it in with concrete. Put the hole deal under carpet, than under a dresser or something, and my friend you are talking about the ultimate setup!

Probably overkill since I live rural in a house with a couple acres... We look out for each other in our neighborhood also. Were not immune to burglary, but they would certainly be rolling the dice cause everyone is armed out here... Isn't that funny how everyone has a gun equals NO crime - funny how that works?

9. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

When buliding my home I took all these factors into consideration and built a safe room....pretty cool spot with great security.
    Always bolt down a safe.. consult your local safe dealer for installation..they know best, after all, its what they do.

RickieB

10. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

No not a ground safe. Just one with feet or brackets to screw into my concrete floor. In my apt. building all aptmnts have concrete floors covered with carpeting and cinder block interior walls. All walls covered with drywall. 10 foot ceilings too.
    I figure this would cause them to think twice because of the time involved to remove it. It would also have to have inside hinges and pry proof door.

11. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

As theft prevention, you have none. Putting things in a portable unit just means they steal the unit too. Wedging something in doesn't do anything. Like a wall mount safe that gets ripped out. If thieves want it, they will get it.

Secrecy is your best protection. But what good is it to collect something you cannot share ? I keep the junk stuff out and the good stuff in a bank box.

12. oval_man

oval_man Elliptical member

+1. I've shared the following story several times on CT but here it is again: I read of a dealer who kept his better coins in a sack at the bottom of his garbage can. He was broken into and his safe cracked, but all the good stuff remained.

13. Vroomer2

Vroomer2 Active Member

"Nunya."

As in "Nunya business"

:)

14. lincolncent

lincolncent Future Storm Chaser Guy

Most of it is in the safe deposit box with an unspecified amount in an unnamed, anonymous location known only to me and select others (just in case). Of course then there's the massive pile of stuff I've pulled from circulation on my desk. Really need to do something about that lol. Too busy to go through it all. :p

Kevin Davidson likes this.
  15. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Most of it in a safey deposit at the bank.

16. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

A safety deposit box is very reasonable. With Bank of America, my advantage account earned me a 3x5x23 safety deposit box as a free perk. Upgrading to a 5x5x23 would be about $50 a year (I could get a second 3x5x23 for the same price, which seems like a better idea).

I keep my low value coins in binders mixed in with my tax documents / bills. Anyone going through that shelf will throw out their back without carrying away more than a few hundred dollars of coins. Oh, and the paper cuts might kill them.

I used to keep my coins in safes at home. The important thing for me was to look for fireproof UL ratings (since that was more of a worry in an apartment complex than theft). I still have the safes - they're just full of bricks in case someone does break into my house. I'd hate for them to leave without getting a nice workout.

As for safes that bolt or screw into the floor... if they have external legs, it might be a good idea to epoxy over the screws. When you're ready to remove the safe, you can use epoxy remover, but robbers are unlikely to have any with them.

17. texmech

texmech Wanna be coin collector

In the vegetable bin in the refrigerator, nobody ever opens that drawer

18. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

Love the garbage can and vegetable drawer ideas

19. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I keep 99% in a 10"X10"X23" safe deposit box, but will need another one soon.
    My ideal situation would be a 6,000 lb fire rated home safe bolted to the concrete floor.
    All of my notes/sheets have been scanned, and can be viewed at any time.
    Keep in mind this is a public forum, with lurkers......

20. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

All of my goodies are in a couple of safety deposit boxes. The only stuff in my safe at home are about 45,000 unrolled pennies and they're in there mainly to add weight to keep my 650 lb. safe from being stolen.:D

21. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Regardless of how safe you think your residence is, it's a proven fact that most robberies are committed by someone close to the victim, meaning a friend, an associate, and most often a relative. I won't even give my wife the combo to my safe. Guess if I die she'll have to hire a safe cracker to get inside.
    Guy

Draft saved Draft deleted