Where do you buy your rolled coin? - US Bank charged my account $20.00 afterward!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by crazycoinguy, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Stewart

Stewart Searcher of the Unique

Banks have most definitely moved into criminal territory in the last decade. Charging fees without notifying
    the customer when they pick up some boxes of coins is definitely not right.If they need to charge someone a fee
    then fine, they should let the customer know.
    But then again I am not surprised by the banks actions. They now understand the rule of law no longer exsists
    for banks and large financial institutions. With their ability to straight up steal customer funds to the tune of Billions
    of Dollars and nothing in the way of criminal indictments brought to bear on the criminals.
    (MF Global making 1.2 Billion in customer funds disappear. And New York Bank Mellon stealing pension fund money for decades) Just two recent examples. After the MF Global theft people are flat out pulling out of the markets. Zero Trust !!
    When there is no thrust in the markets or the banks there is a serious impact on the civilization and our leaders know
    it. That is why EVERYONE I know that has read The recently passed National Defense Authorization Act of 2012 is in total disbelief as to what was able to be made into law here in the good ol U.S of A.
    And those that were in the military or are currently serving are on the verge of nightmares because they completely understand the implications of what they hid away in this bill that they passed and signed into law.

CladKing your suspicions about civilization may be absolutely right.
    And the scariest part is most people do not know just how deep the rabbit hole goes

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jaycutler

jaycutler Junior Member

Never had a problem with Wells Fargo,Chase or my local credit union

4. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

I've been buying my rolls at the corner stores, chain grocery stores etc.. In most cases, they have an abundance of penny rolls and are happy to get rid of them. The advantage here is that they are all re-rolls and can contain some treasures. And you don't pay a service charge to get them.

5. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

This has been discussed on this forum before.

If you are causing the bank to order above their normal inventory on rolled coin, they have to pay for those extra boxes and are not out of line to charge those costs back to you.

Brinks, and other armored car companies who deliver rolled coin and bricks of cash to banks, charge the banks for their delivery services. The cost of doing business for banks is acceptable with a normal amount of orders for the banks to do day to day business. But when they have customers asking for boxes of rolled coins on a regular basis, like 22 boxes, the banks are charged for the extra boxes and should not be expected to absorb those costs.

FYI, if you move your account to a credit union, and start ordering 22 boxes of rolled coins from them, they will expect you to pay, the extra costs to them, for those as well.

6. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Wouldn't it just make sense to walk into banks that you don't have an account in and just ask for the boxes like I do. I take in $100 or so and just politely ask. B of A, Wells Fargo, and Chase all oblige without any pushback, especially if I'm taking cents or nickels. I get the occasional barriers with higher denom change. But in the end, if they don't have any account info to tie into you, they can't penalize you for some ridiculous fee. Besides, US Bank is a terrible bank to get rolls from anyways, they don't have a huge merchant service to the local businesses like B of A and Wells Fargo has. It's no wonder they charge you the fee because they don't keep that kind of inventory. Another thing to keep in mind. But the main key is to be polite to the teller, I can't stress that enough. :yes:

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Your lucky. At most banks if you do that the first thing they do is ask "Do you have an account here?" If you say yes they want the account #, if you say no they say they can't help you. And if you do have an account you will often get hit with fees like the OP because it DOES cost the bank to provide rolls.

8. Noobismatist

Noobismatist Junior Member

I get my coins everywhere now! Any bank that will sell me rolls I will go there!

9. BUncirculated

I'm not calling you a lier, but I find that a bit hard to believe that a bank you don't have an account with would do that for you.

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It would also depend on what city you live in. For some reason some cities are coin sinks, the banks can never seem to get enough coin and the Federal Reserve is constantly shipping coin to banks in those areas and not getting any back. Other areas are coin sources with coin constantly flowing into the banks and then to the Fed. Banks in those areas are always flush with coin and would love to give it out so they don't have to pay to ship it back. They would be roll search friendly areas. Banks in the coin sink areas on the other hand would NOT want to be handing out their precious coin to roll searchers so they just have to order and pay for more. Banks in such places would be more likely to add fees and such to discourage roll searchers. (When I was a kid I ran into a factoid that Louisville Ky was a coin sink as far as nickels was concerned and that the Fed shipped more nickels to Louisville than any other city in the country. Don't know if that is true any more.)

11. coinpapa

coinpapa Junior Member

AND cutting out tellers and officers to serve the customers. Banking is certainly not what it was when I worked in banking a century ago.

Yes, we will have to get use to being dimed to death by banks until the public in general gets fed up, and with the rampant apathy in this country today I do not see that happening in my lifetime.

Went to my local Bank of America on Friday before News Years Day and they had one teller handling 5 drive up lanes with at least three lined up at each lane, and one teller inside handing a customer with a large cash deposit and five people lined up. They also had only one officer to handle the people in the lobby waiting to see him or get into their lockbox.
    Never did they open a new window while I was there on some business and that was for some time.

As to Credit Unions, I have only done business with three, one currently, and all were/are operated very unprofessional with tellers who did not seem to know what they were doing. Their rules of operation seem to be from the 1950s, putting two week holds on checks over 5000$ when in todays electronic enviroment they will clear in two days, etc.

12. Noobismatist

Noobismatist Junior Member

Wells Fargo pulled the same card on me, i am no longer with them!

13. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

jpm chase/.. order it if your an account holder you can order gold n silver to..

14. BUncirculated

I think one thing many people, who are upset that a bank; regardless of whether you have an account with them or not, would charge a fee for boxes of rolled coins, are not understanding, or misunderstanding, is banks don't keep a supply of boxed coins in their vaults, waiting for a roll searcher to come in and buy them at face value.

They only keep the amount of rolled coins on hand needed for day to day transactions, along with rolled coins from private individuals brought in daily for exchange for greenbacks.

If a bank, or credit union, are inundated with orders, from customers, or non-customers alike, for boxes of rolled coins they should not be expected to eat that extra cost of ordering and receiving delivery of those. Someone has to pay for it, and the individual who wants the box of pennies should be the one paying for those.

15. Tyler G.

Tyler G. Active Member

I just walk in really fast and ask and hand over the money and don't say anything but can I have a box of nickels, then walk out fast so they don't have time for a fee.

16. BUncirculated

I think you're totally missing the point, as well as being facetious.

One box is not the problem.

It's when you walk into a bank, or credit union, and expect them to have more than 10 boxes of any denomination of coins, causing them to have to place a special order for a delivery of boxes, which they(banks and credit unions) are charged for.

Re-read the OP, and you will see the OP was expecting his bank to keep 22 boxes of rolled coins on hand for him to pick up.

That's expecting too much!

Draft saved Draft deleted