Where do you buy your ancient coins?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by rrdenarius, Feb 9, 2016.

1. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I keep a spreadsheet of the ancient coins I borrow (I will not sell them, but they will be here when I am gone). I note where I bought the coin. I did this before all of the whoopla about provenance and import restrictions. I checked my list this week and have bought from 76 companies or individuals. I have purchased in at least 5 states and from at least 11 countries. I think all of the following came from different countries. About 20% of my purchases are face to face. The internet has made more coins available to me. The only downside of overseas purchases is the wait time. I am waiting for coins I won 2 weeks ago. My longest wait was 4 months for import papers.
    RR ID 002.JPG at a local coin show
    P1010040.JPG one of my first from Germany
    P1010036.JPG Italy
    ArtAst XL.136.jpg ArtAst XL.136 rev.jpg San Marino
    P1011678.JPG P1011680.JPG CNG
    Grueber Series II 99 to 95 BC obv.JPG England
    Bronze Knife.JPG Spain

Alegandron, TIF, zumbly and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

With no ancient coin shows in Australia, I get almost all my coins on Vcoins and occasionally eBay. I am currently watching several coins via the Numisbids site, and I may be participating in major auctions in the near future.

4. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

I only buy at coin shows and sometimes club auctions.

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I have bought a few at my local coin club, (ok maybe 100 or so), and a few at coin shows, (ok maybe 100 or so), but buy mostly online. Ebay for some esoteric things, but mainly large auction houses.

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Get most of mine from ebay and various VC dealers. Sometimes the facebook groups too. Some good folks on them.

7. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I have at least one coin from an Australian company. They have an auction in April - http://www.noble.com.au/auctions/article?id=59

8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i've picked up a a few coins at shows, most are from ebay with vcoins being second. 4th place goes to cointalk members!

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

If you name the source, I've probably bought from it. I too have coins from around the world. Even Thailand (that dealer stopped selling Ancients and now focus' on Asian coins).

10. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I have bought from coin shows and from online sources. Vcoins and Forvm are my favourite online sources.

11. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

new at this and have only purchased from ebay and Vcoins thus far...and only from the states, just dont trust ordering from overseas..

12. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

I buy mine on forvm or vcoins, mainly. Occasionally I get one from a LCS.

13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

2% of mine have been purchased in person 93% from private sellers, and about 5% from dealers.

14. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

15. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

I buy about 1/3 of my coins from coin shows, and 2/3 from Internet auctions/dealer websites/Vcoins.

16. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

I've bought ~35% from auctions(CNG, Agora, AA, etc.), about 45% from dealers and about 20% from private purchases from a small network of collectors I regularly communicate with. Only about 20% of all those have come from outside the US(from all 3 categories) but so far I have purchased coins from Romania, England, San Marino, the Netherlands, Denmark, Canada and Hungary.

I haven't purchased any coins in about 2 weeks and probably won't until March(focusing monetary powers on another hobby) but I suspect in 2016 the numbers will skew towards auctions as average purchase price continues to increase.

17. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I probably buy 50% of my coins from e-auctions ... 25% from my favourite, long-time e-bay seller ... and 25% from the misc-dudes at vcoins

18. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Boooooooooooooooooooo......
    With PayPal protection and tracked mail, what's not to trust?

Bing likes this.
  19. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

None from me yet then Steve?

20. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Most of mine are from auction houses (e-auctions, print auctions, and live auctions). A small percent are from fixed price sellers (V-coins and others), coin shows (show singular-- I've only attended one :D), and private sale.

Geographically, most of my purchases are from the US, Germany, and England. One came from an Australian auction house. A smattering have been from Italy, France, Spain, and Australia.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  21. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Occasionally I buy on coin shows, but usually it's from the internet. I have about ten trusted ebay sellers and keep to them. The best coins come from international auction houses, like CNG, Jacquier, Elsen, Agora.

Ancientnoob likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted