Where can I report my missing or stolen PCGS certified coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by C-B-D, Dec 1, 2015.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Long story short... this happened back in April and I didn't insure the Expressmail package of coins I sold, so I screwed myself... (yeah I know, dumb).

Anyway there were 2 pcgs coins in it and 1 raw coin. The package was last scanned in the town where it was supposed to be delivered but never made it there. I lost out on over $700. I know there's a chance that the certified coins may show up, though.

So where can I post the cert numbers so that maybe they'll ping as stolen if indeed a postal worker or whoever actually took them? (Of course, they may just be sitting in a post office somewhere, truly lost).

Here are the coins:
    1831 Capped Bust 50c PCGS XF45
    Cert #31715856

1833 Capped Bust 50c PCGS XF45
    Cert #31715857

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I don't know of a registry of that sort, but I'd like to offer my hopes for the safe return of your coins.

C-B-D likes this.
  4. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I had a couple disappear almost the same thing. I insured them but lost the receipt and tracking no. Both were certified. Was about $275. I keep hoping someone will try to put them in a registry. Problem is if anyone cracks them out and resubmits them the cert number will no longer match the coin

treylxapi47 and C-B-D like this.
  5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

You can read through (below), but from your description it seems there's no proof of a crime, so I'm not sure how much help it would be.

http://www.numismaticcrimes.org/

Check ebay, post to other forums, and regularly scan CL or other person-to-person sales venue in the shipped to region. You also could make a fee calls to dealers (and the like) in that area, but with so much time having passed, any luck would likely be slim to none.

Rick Stachowski and C-B-D like this.
  6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

This is my great idea then... to have PCGS create a lost/stolen cert number list where if a coin appears where someone lists the cert number, it is flagged and the person uploading the missing coin gets an email. (Of course PCGS wouldn't want to be involved in this due to liability and disputes over ownership, so I'd have to create my own website and search app.... which I wouldn't know how to do).

7. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Which city were they last reported in?

8. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

If you leave the coins in your PCGS Registry and someone else tries to add them, it will send you an email. I think this is what @Mainebill was getting at. Just leave them online with a note to remind you - it may not get the coins back, but at least you would know when they come up.

C-B-D and medoraman like this.
  9. carboni7e

carboni7e aka MonsterCoinz

Apparently there is a database, I'd call PCGS.

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes there is a database, but only if the coins have been graded under the Secure level. And if they are sent back in again, but not under the Secure tier, they won't trip a notice from the database either.

11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Yeah they weren't secure plus.

12. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Vallejo, CA

Draft saved Draft deleted