Where can I go for information on modern pre-Euro Vatican Coin Designs?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by JeffC, Jan 10, 2019.

1. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

Look in the CUHAJ World Coin Catalogs at your local library. If the information that they provide is not detailed enough use the information they give to do a web search. Wikipedia is touch and go. Sometimes they will bury you in information some times you get a goose egg.

JeffC likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Great option too. Thanks!

4. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

The bottom right one is a personification of Charity. Here is another coin that has this design. Also, here is a 50 centesimi like yours. 49EB140C-B95B-4C16-8BE5-4E0CA6A9EB1D.jpeg EFC47EA9-D0D9-4687-A0F3-A33FA10603C0.jpeg

5. JeffC

Thanks very much for sharing your dual date Vatican coin and now, thanks to @chrisild I know why there are two dates. I've had my eye on the 1929 50 centesimi (it features an angel sheathing his sword) recently since (and please correct me if I'm wrong) it's the first year of issue for "modern" Vatican coins. But it's going for over $100. A bit high for my budget... Hahaha.

6. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

Vatican City first issued coins in 1931. Thus, the coins dated 1929 and 1930 were actually struck in 1931 along with the regular issue for that year. I guess it’s just to add a sense of continuity.

7. JeffC

Wow - the more I read into this, the more questions pop up. So when they first issued coins in 1931, do you also happen to know why they back-dated some to 1929? And others to 1930? Smokes! I was "fooled" into thinking that the first year of mintage was actually 1929. Thanks for the education.

8. harley bissell

Occasionally I see Vatican Proof sets and mint sets at my local coin club auctions. Unless they contain silver coins they don't bring much. Let your fellow members know that you are looking for them and you may be surprised at what you get offered. good luck

9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The Vatican City State was "founded" in 1929, based on the Lateran Treaty with the Kingdom of Italy. One consequence of that treaty was a monetary agreement (text in Italian) between IT and VA made in August 1930 which became law in January 1931. This way the Vatican could issue coins denominated in Italian Lire.

Article 8 of that agreement or convention says (my translation): "The Vatican City State, without prejudice to the quantity as established above for the first year, reserves the right to issue up to 10,000 sets of coins, with the commemorative date of 1929 ..." And that is what they did. :)

Actually the Vatican has always issued its coins based on such monetary agreements. First with the Kingdom of Italy, then with the Italian Republic, then (and now) with the European Union. This way the Vatican coins, at least the "regular" pieces, can circulate not only within the Vatican but also in the countries that have the same currency.

Christian

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  10. JeffC

I've never even been to a coin show. (*Bows head in embarrassment*)

11. JeffC

Thanks very much once more for all the information and ready source links within. I'm blessed. Thank you.

12. harley bissell

I rarely see an auction at a coin show. I'm talking about local coin
    clubs who meet monthly and have an auction for the members.

JeffC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted