Where can I find half dollars?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by silverskarrs, May 25, 2015.

1. silverskarrs

silverskarrs New Member

local banks never have them

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rockyyaknow

rockyyaknow Well-Known Member

Just got to show up at the right time when someone cashes some in. Or some banks will order boxes for you, but with a possible fee depending on the bank.

4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I do not go out of my way to look (I only pick them up for tolls, change, etc) but I've never encountered a bank that "never" has them, be it from customer exchanges or orders.

5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

One day I had off work, I drove to every bank within a certain number of miles from my home and asked if they had had dollars I could buy. I wrote down who did and who didn't and then what I found. I'd recommend trying something like that, or making friends with a bank teller you have an account with and see if they'll order you a box. I prefer customer wrapped rolls (CWR) as they've given me the best finds.

6. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Member

chase bank doesn't charge you for half dollar coin orders but you have to get a box of 500.00

7. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

When you do get half's make sure to look for Doubled Dies, not only silver. I got a nice 1974-d Doubled Die Half out of the rejects from a silver hunter. Most people don't look for the DDO's when silver hunting.

8. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I recently went looking myself - I had success at Wells Fargo

9. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

it's a crap shoot here if they have half's or not, I've had more luck with Bank One than Fargo, so it really depends where you are I bet.

10. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Member

do you know of a site that has a good visual list of DDO's?
    also what years would be the most common to have these DDO's

11. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

Go on the NGC website and you can look up their VarietyPlus list. It shows you all coins of every denomination that they recognize for having a variety, along with a very clear, detailed pic of the variety.
    http://www.ngccoin.com/coin-varieties/

UrbanHunter likes this.
  12. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Member

you rock! thanks!

Agilmore01 likes this.
  13. joseph289

joseph289 Member

What is the best way to tell if it's a double die. I think I might have one.

14. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Member

post a pic!

15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

and it is a doubleD die

Also, there are many, many threads on the subject, read them

Draft saved Draft deleted