Where can I buy world coins cheap in bulk?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Detecto92, Jan 9, 2013.

1. frech001

frech001 New but Old

I've been trying to sell a hoard of world coins on eBay. I've been listing them a country at a time and finding buyers with surnames that suggest they are interested in coins from their native country. I start the minimum listing price at 50% of book value and keep reducing the starting price until I end up grouping them in lots that seem to make sense at 99 cents. Even then, many don't sell. The bargain opportunity is saving through combined shipping, but most people don't realize that. With eBay's new shipping discount arrangement, a seller's shipping cost for first class with tracking is the same up to 7 ounces, so that benefits buyers and sellers who offer combined shipping. With eBay's limit of 12 free photos per free listing that limits a listing to 6 coins if you want to show obverse/reverse photos of each coin. As others have said, it is a lot of work for a few cents, so unless your time is free and you simply value learning history and geography through coin research, it seems like a hard way to make a few dollars.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Your best bet is in person, like at antique and flea markets. Also of course, shows and shops. Stuff online has been searched to no end and is not worth it. I know a few places I go in person every few weeks and get a pound here and there. Sometimes I get more, but seldom. One time on Craig's list I found a lady selling 18 pounds for 120, mostly unsearched (only silver was taken out). That was a great deal. At shops, they tend to sell high though, like 6-8 a pound. This one shop sells 2-3 dollars a pound but it's the most picked through crap around

Draft saved Draft deleted