Where can I buy world coins cheap in bulk?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Detecto92, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

A fellow CT member sparked this idea inside my brain.

It may appear to you that I have been buying coins in a rush. That I have been going on a "spree".

Well, it's because I sold my 2nd collection, which consisted of a lot of newer coins. I appreciate older coins more, so I'm into those now.

I have a few more coming, and that's it.

Anyway, I love searching, I love digging through boxes of cheap coins at a dealer, and finding things that are really cool, or something I can make a couple bucks on.

In the meantime, I want to buy pounds of world coins. Maybe a few pounds a month.

Go through them all, find ones that are cool, find ones that could be worth a few dollars, and take the rest to a flea market. I've sold plenty of world coins for 50 cents each. Not enough to live off, but any extra money is fine by me.

This would be a cool way for me to find stuff, without spending much money.

Now, there are hundreds of places that sell world coins in bulk, but does anyone know of a place to get them cheap, and where I might have better luck?

Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

SIGH!!!!! :desk:

4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

5. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

I have purchased off of ebay for around $6 a pound a few times. I don't know if this is cheap or not. Just make sure the seller will take a money order :)

6. Detecto92

Was that in auction? Cheapest I saw was $10. I would like to find a place that is not on eBay, so I can use my debit card.

7. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

Yes, auction. Just takes patience to win one at a lower price. I rarely use BIN.

BTW, I was at a doctor appointment today and the scale was a "detecto" brand. Is that where your forum name comes from?

8. Detecto92

I've used this handle for quite a few years.

I like to metal detect. I also used to listen to Dr.Demento ( a DJ who plays parody music).

Detector.....Demento...Detecto. It's a portmanteau of those two.

I got bored, and typed Detecto into google, there is a scale company of the same name, but that's not where I got the handle from.

9. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Two questions,
    1. If there is no money in the account, what good is a debit card?
    2. Didn't you tell us that you lost your bank account/debit card?

10. Detecto92

1. There is, I sold my modern collection.
    2. No, I never lost my account.

11. John14

John14 Active Member

Tim, I think this is a bad idea. People buy those bulk bags of world coins as gifts for children who are interested in coins. For the most part, they have already been searched for anything of value, and all the coins are heavily scratched/circulated. You could list them one at a time on eBay and try to squeeze out 50 cent profits here and there; but when you add up the time involved it is definitely not worth it.

GSDykes and joecoincollect like this.
  12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I sometimes wonder if where you're coming from is not where you're going.

Chris

13. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Speaking of Detecto brand scales and well, stirring up Detecto general discussion topics from the not so distant past, how is the fad diet going?

14. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

But they still sell at flea markets (and least they do for me). Usually in the twenty-five to fifty cent range.

15. John14

John14 Active Member

I forgot the OP said flea markets not internet sales. But still, I would like Tim to settle in to a nice career for the sake of his future.

16. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I have had better luck buying group lots on Ebay that have overlooked coins, rather than simple world coins by the pound. Always assume the worst with this stuff, buy from pics.

I have simply found the cheapest lots are always ultramodern crap. For chances at better coins you need to be willing to pay more for pound, how much depending on the pictures.

Btw, I have some other "tricks" I use when looking at this material, but if I told you I would have to shoot you. Way too much competition for good deals on Ebay nowadays......

17. panicos

panicos New Member

just look other sites they don't charge fees from the local sites similar to bazaar-cy i am from Cyprus and i find very good deals .i hope that i was helpful .

michaelgr likes this.
  18. Captain Jack

Captain Jack New Member

type in old copper in ebay lot searches for both american and world, and you'll usually pull up the older copper coins. They go for a lot more though, especially large cents. You can probably get lots of Victorian pennies, etc. Don't expect big lots for George I, II, III, and IV though. You can pull large George V and VI lots... but they really aren't worth much. Try old silver as well, and you'll pull silver auctions, but again, you'll be paying around silver spot per ounce.

19. Captain Jack

Captain Jack New Member

Just realized... holy thread resurrection batman!!!

paddyman98 likes this.
  20. icetea

icetea Member

Just a would of advise. Better off using a credit card instead of a debit card. Much easier to cancel a credit card transaction if you are not happy you can dispute the charge. On a debit card it comes right out of the bank with no recourse. (Just an opinion).:happy:

21. michaelgr

michaelgr New Member

Thanks is small site but very nice people i find on this site i will list and my collection ....thanks great

Draft saved Draft deleted