where can i buy Morgans??

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by moneyfan, Apr 20, 2008.

1. moneyfan

moneyfan collector of coins/bills

i have always wanted to find a morgan but since im on a budget is there a place where i can find one at a low price (without the risk of it being fake). i know this seems highly unlikely but if you know of a store/website please let me know. i know these are rare coins but i still hope.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JIMV

JIMV New Member

4. moneyfan

5. ryanbrooks

ryanbrooks Active Member

Well, there is a commercial that I saw, and it is 19.95 per morgan which is really cheap! You'll have to do a search for them, because I forgot the name of the company.

6. Smaugy

Smaugy Peg Leg Surfing

Try going to a coin show and looking around there. I picked up a 1882-S and and 1883 graded MS-62 for about $75 for the pair. Some of the common dates can be had either raw or graded for not too much money......unlike some of the Carson City Morgans.............. :rolleyes:

7. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? There are some Chinese sellers on ebay that sell some nice CC Morgans pretty cheap? :confused: ;)

Phoenix :cool:

8. moneyfan

please try to remeber because that is just my price range.

9. Smaugy

Smaugy Peg Leg Surfing

Hey! We don't need no stinkin' counterfits....... :rolleyes:

10. moneyfan

whats going on???

11. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

walk into any coin shop in your area and ask to see his circulated common date Morgans and he will have a box/bin/coffee can for you to pick through with a price in the $15-$25 range depending on if the coins are sliders or heavily circulated.

Every dealer has a bin like that, so just ask.

12. HelloNewman

HelloNewman New Member

13. The_Cave_Troll

This is simply not true. There are literally hundreds of millions of common date Morgan dollars around. In circulated grades they trade for a very slight premium over their silver melt value. They are as common as a coin can be.

14. moneyfan

a coin shop in my area. ok, i would have to drive at least an hour or more to find a coin shop. 15-20 is so my price range. thanks.

15. The_Cave_Troll

If it is an hour's drive I'd call before I made the trip just to be sure. But I'd be stunned if he said he didn't have any Morgans in the under $25 range.

16. moneyfan

i didn't know that. i thought it would be very rare to find one in circulation.

17. moneyfan

ok thanks.

18. The_Cave_Troll

It is fairly uncommon for any large sized dollar coin to be found in circulation, but my sister found a few while working at a bank a couple years ago. I wouldn't count on being able to find one in circulation, but a dealer will sell you a circulated coin for just over its melt value.

19. moneyfan

oh, ok, thanks.

20. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Finding a circulated Morgan dollar and finding a Morgan dollar in circulation are two entirely different things.

Morgan dollars were not popular (except in the West) but they did circulate. Today you can buy those Morgans that circulated decades ago.

When their silver content exceeded their face value they became next to impossible to find in circulation (but, as with Cave Troll's example, it does happen on RARE occasions). So it is extremely unlikely you will ever find a Morgan dollar in circulation.

21. JIMV

JIMV New Member

Try the link to the same company slabbed for around 69

Draft saved Draft deleted