Where are all the archival slab pages and binders?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by hamster, Nov 18, 2011.

1. hamster

hamster New Member

I'm looking for archival storage materials to put my slabs into binders, and I'm not having much luck. I'm beginning to think these products don't exist.

If it doesn't say what its made out of then I don't trust it. (I'll be storing my slabs with other raw coins, so I can't have the slabbed storage materials contaminate the rest of my coins.)

Eagle and Lighthouse both make seemingly good options, but fail to mention if they are archival safe and fail to list what they are made out of.

For example, these don't say what they are made of:
    http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/certified-lighthouse-pages.html

Any other good options for me?

Cameron

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If you contact the companies they can probably tell you if they are archival or what they are made of.

4. hamster

hamster New Member

Responses Received...

Do these responses make anyone feel better/worse about using these companies offerings for storage? It's clear to me the focus is on appearance over archival characteristics.

Lighthouse:

- Didn't respond to my question via their Contact Us form. Perhaps it got lost.
    - I called them and received this info:
    - Grande Albums are made of "leatherette", and they did not know what the leatherette was made out of
    - Album pages are made from PET, which I take to be Polyethylene terephthalate

Eagle response from web contact form was as follows (read it from bottom to top):

"Cameron,

We don't know the chemical compositiion of the regular binders, but the material has a 'matte' finish compared to other vinyl binders, some of which have a shiney look.

Ditto for the coated premium binders. We don't think you would be disappointed with either style.

Eagle Customer Service

--- On Mon, 11/28/11, CRK wrote:

Subject: RE: Enquiry from Eagle Coin Holders
    To: "'Robert Grant'"
    Date: Monday, November 28, 2011, 11:06 PM
    Robert,

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Do you know what specific type of vinyl as vinyl is usually shorthand for PVC (poly-vinyl-chloride)?
    Also, what is the cloth made out of?
    What type of vinyl are the binders made of? I assume something different since they are not clear and rigid. =)

Thanks,
    Cameron

Sent: Monday, November 28, 2011 8:49 AM
    To: Cameron Kacmarcik
    Subject: Re: Enquiry from Eagle Coin Holders

Mr. Kacmarcik,

All of our vacuum formed pages are made of clear rigid vinyl, which contain no PVC.

Our regular binders are standard vinyl binders and our premium bookbound binders are coated cloth.

Eagle Customer Service

--- On Sat, 11/26/11, Cameron Kacmarcik wrote:

Subject: Enquiry from Eagle Coin Holders
    To: "Bob Grant"
    Date: Saturday, November 26, 2011, 10:19 AM
    Eagle,
    I have a couple questions regarding your Certified Coin Albums and Pages.
    For example,
    - 2 page Certified album (18 coins) [CA0002]
    - 3 page Certified album with Premium Bookbound binder (27 coins) [CA0003b]

Questions are as follows:
    Q1: Are the binders and pages archival quality?
    Q2: What are the binders and pages made out of?

I will be storing these binders next to raw coins and want to make sure the raw coins will be unaffected by these binders and pages.

Thanks,
    Cameron"

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Non-PVC binders are available from Walgreen's Oxford binders. I bought over 20 of the 3" non-pvc when they went on sale a couple of years ago for my stamp collections. They are competitive with the pvc vinyl binders, but if you store them with coins, you don't have the worry. These binders are also sold in other places. Even saw some in Costco a while back, but they change offerings very often.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/oxford-panorama-view-binder-1%26%2334%3B/ID=prod6054465-product

Jim

6. hamster

hamster New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted