When You Buy a Coin because of the Reverse

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clavdivs, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

This is a play on the recent (excellent) thread by @David Atherton called "When you Buy a Coin because of the Portrait".. which is here is you missed it:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/when-you-buy-a-coin-because-of-the-portrait.327663/

Some fantastic Obverses were displayed on the thread... but how about the killer reverse that made you splash the cash?

Here is a coin that I purchased purely for it's reverse. The obverse is a mess as you can see. It looks like a double strike.. obviously off center - but something else seems to be going on there - perhaps an expert will have an idea?
    However the reverse had the scene I was looking for. While the reverse is also far from perfect ...for $30 I jumped at the opportunity to own one of these. In hand you can see the head of Medusa in Perseus' grasp quite clearly.. I will try to get a better photo. I am not a serious Greek coin collector at all - this reverse scene is just so darn cool I wanted one.. and anything better would be out of my price range. I think it's an awesome reverse!!

upload_2018-12-12_20-28-42.png

Obverse: Head of Athena in crested helmet ornamented with Pegasos to right

Reverse: Hero Perseus facing, holding harpa (dagger) in left, and head of slain Medusa in r. hand, her decapitated body below, monogram to left, Greek AMI - SOU across field

Reference: SG 3680, LK 23

Reverse scene featuring the final act of the showdown between brave Perseus and the abominable Medusa. This type was issued by a few cities on the south shores of the Black Sea (Pontos and Paphlagonia) during the reign of Mithradates VI Eupator, and it is sometimes conjectured to allegorically refer to his struggle with Rome.

Please post any coins that you purchased because of the great reverse....

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Excellent purchase for $30! I love that reverse.

4. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Wonderful Perseus!
    Who doesn't love a nice reverse...
    CollageMaker Plus_20186121103721.png
    Julia Domna, Augusta
    194 - 8 April 217 A.D.
    Silver denarius, weight 2.745 g,
    maximum diameter 18.4
    m, Emesa (Homs, Syria) mint, 193 -
    196 A.D.; obverseIVLIA DOMNA AVG,
    draped bust right, hair in waved
    horizontal ridges, bun at back
    of head; reverse VENERI
    VICTR, Venus standing right with
    back turned facing, nude to below the
    buttocks, resting left elbow on waiste
    high column, transverse palm frond
    in left hand, apple in extended right
    hand;
    254368.jpg
    Vespasian
    (AD 69-79), AR Denarius
    (19mm, 2.95g), struck AD
    73. IMP CAES VESP AVG
    CENS , laureate head facing
    right / PONTIF MAXIM ,
    Nemesis advancing right,
    pointing a caduceus at a
    snake below. RIC 544; BMC

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

No, no, please -- I'm already feeling a little stiff from looking at this one!

6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Welcome to The Headless Medusa Club! I think we've yet to see a perfect one of these and yours is actually not half bad, with only thing missing on the reverse being the harpa. My first one was missing most of the body and all of the neck-stump. :shame:

I often (usually?) buy coins for their reverses. For me, that's often where the story is at, quite literally.

I bought this one about five years ago, and at the time, it was the most expensive coin I had bought by a factor of about 5. The reverse depicts a scene from Virgil's Aeneid, where, in a prophetic dream, Aeneas, while leading a group of refugees fleeing Troy, encounters the river god Tiberinus when he reaches Italy. The god tells him he should settle his people when he sees a white sow suckling her young under an oak tree. He sees this very omen the next day along the river, and builds his town on the spot that would in the future become the city of Rome.

Antoninus Pius - As Pigs 103.jpg ANTONINUS PIUS
    AE As. 11.02g, 28.6mm. Rome mint, AD 140-144. RIC 733; Cohen 450. O: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P COS III, laureate head right. R: IMPERATOR II, sow seated by a river under a oak tree suckling three piglets, with another one in front of her; SC in exergue.
    Ex Old Sable Collection

Provincials often have great story reverses. This rare bronze from Tyre I picked up earlier this year also really made me "splash the cash". It shows the founding the Greek city of Thebes by Cadmus. Cadmus was son of the king of Tyre and brother of Europa. Europa had been abducted by Zeus, and on his travels in search of his sister, Cadmus found himself in Greece, where he taught the Greeks the alphabet and writing, and also founded the city of Thebes.

Valerian - Phoenicia Tyre - Thebes Cadmus.jpg
    VALERIAN
    Rare. AE27. 13.98g, 27.3mm. PHOENICIA, Tyre, circa AD 253-260. Rouvier 2500. O: IMP C P LIC VALERIANVS AVG, laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right. R: TVRIORVM, Cadmus standing left, holding patera and spear; at feet to left, cow reclining right; in left field, city gate of Thebes above ΘH/BЄ; murex shell to right.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  7. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

@zumbly - wonderful coins that tell great stories. I had never seen those reverses before.. thanks for posting.

zumbly likes this.
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

9. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

This one certainly fits the bill:
    Anc-10-R4-k0198-Caracalla-Phrygia-AE30-Hieropolos-NGC 3598775-015.jpg
    Provincial Rome - Phrygia
    Caracalla, r. 198-217 A.D.
    Hieropolis, AE30, 30 mm x 12.36 grams
    Obv.: AV K M AVP ANTΩNΕINO/C. Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: ΙΕ POΠ ΛEITΩN. Nemesis, wearing polos, standing facing, head right, holding rein or halter. To right Serapis, enthroned left with Cerberus at feet.

Just won another Caracalla provincial in today’s CNG auction which was also chosen for the reverse (not as pretty as this one, though...)

10. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I buy most of my coins for their reverses, but here are a few of my favorites:

Is there anything cooler than Cybele riding in a quadriga of lions?

Domna MATER AVGG Cybele Lion Quadriga Denarius A.jpg

This elephant of Philip I is pretty cool, though!

Philip I AETERNITAS AVGG elephant antoninianus.jpg

I bought this Gordy provincial because of Artemis hunting on the reverse:

Gordian III Hadrianopolis Artemis new.jpg

And this Caracalla and Domna is cool because its reverse depicts Apollo preparing to slay Python!

Caracalla and Domna Marcianopolis Apollo.jpg

And who could resist this one with Dionysus and his panther?

Domna Nicopolis Dionysos and panther.jpg

It's so cool that Mionnet had to illustrate it! Domna Nicopolis Dionysos and panther Mionnet.JPG

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

From the obverse, this Republican denarius of Sextus Pompeius Fostlus looks to be just another Roma head coin but the reverse shows the shepherd Faustulus discovering the wolf and twins Romulus and Remus under a tree.
    r10820bb0715.jpg

12. zumbly

Understandably, foundation myths are a popular choice, but the motivation for the use of some reverses can be a little harder to fathom. This provincial from Alexandria Troas seems to depict Herakles and some buddies naked and drunk at an ancient frat party. :rolleyes:

Severus Alexander - Alexandria Troas Drunken Herakles.jpg
    SEVERUS ALEXANDER
    AE25. 6.37g, 25mm. TROAS, Alexandria Troas, circa AD 222-235. RIC VI Online temp #3987 var. (obv legend); Bellinger A335. O: IM AR ƧE AΛEXANDROS, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right. R: COL AV-G TROA, drunken Herakles stumbling right, an arm around the shoulder of Pan to his right, a satyr on his left holding his hand and another behind him supporting (or restraining) him with both arms.

13. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Got this one because of the reverse, also control mark is unpublished.
    g289.jpg

14. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I love this Titus cistophorus for the reverse.

T515a (2).jpg Titus
    AR Cistophorus, 10.64g
    Rome mint (for Asia), 80-81 AD
    RIC 515 (R). BMC spec. acquired 1948. RSC - . RPC 860 (3 spec.).
    Obv: IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M•; Head of Titus, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: CAPIT across field, RESTIT in exergue; Temple of Capitoline Jupiter with 4 columns enclosing figures of Juno, seated Jupiter and Minverva
    Acquired from Calgary Coin, 30 November 2015. Ex MS collection. Ex Harlan J Berk 124, 3 January 2002, lot 448.

And this rather rare reverse struck for Domitian.

D784.JPG Domitian
    AR Denarius, 3.28g
    Rome Mint, 95-96 AD
    RIC 784 (R2). BMC 237B. RSC 296.
    Obv: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM P M TR P XV; Head of Domitian, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: IMP XXII COS XVII CENS P P P; Altar, with two figures of soldiers, flanked by aquilae; under each aquila on top of the altar is a seated captive
    Ex Solidus, eBay, 13 April 2014.

15. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great buying at $30 Clavdivs great reverse of a popular type, there's no way I would have bought this Trajan Dupondius if it wasn't for the bridge. Danube.jpg

16. zumbly

Wonderful reverse on that one, AA!

Curtisimo, TIF and Ancient Aussie like this.
  17. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Just got this one in the mail yesterday... bought for the depiction of The Temple of Divus Augustus... it includes quite a bit of detail that many times is missing on coins with wear.

AntoninusPiusRIC143.JPG
    Antoninus Pius
    Rome mint A.D. 158-159.
    ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP, laureate head right
    TEMPL DIVI AVG REST, COS IIII, seated figures of Divus Augustus and Livia, set on podium, within octastyle temple.
    RIC 143; BMCRE 549; RSC 799b.

18. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Well, I had this first one on my clipboard already, as it happens.

I like capricorns, as I just mentioned in another thread.
    [​IMG]

I liked the reverse on this one, too.
    [​IMG]

The "Aurora in Cloud Chariot" reverse of this ca. 1740 French jeton was irresistible.
    [​IMG]

A sword on a 16th century French coin.
    [​IMG]

Who doesn't love a winged bullfrog?
    [​IMG]

Speaking of winged bullfrogs owls, I knew right away when I saw this one that I HAD to have it! Took some scrimping and saving, but I made it mine. I just love that caffeinated, startled-looking owl!
    [​IMG]

How many shields can you surround a charging knight with? Lots of 'em.
    [​IMG]

Is it any wonder "city view" designs are popular?
    [​IMG]

Every eclectic World coin collection should have a polar bear from Greenland.
    [​IMG]

Or a sailing junk from China.
    [​IMG]

Back to birds- I love the little puffin here.
    [​IMG]

More birds yet- if you'll pardon another modern coin, the flying geese on this one make for a nice design.
    [​IMG]

19. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Ancient Aussie likes this.
  20. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Thanks I was very lucky to pick it up at a reasonable price.

21. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Some stunning reverse scenes. @dougsmit's pharos stands out IMO

I din't get the one below just because of the reverse. It being a miliarense, and a Ferrando plate coin from Arles counts too

[​IMG]
    Constantius II, Light miliarense, Ferrando II plate coin - Arles mint (Arelate), 3d officina
    DN CONSTAN TIVS PF AVG, Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust of Constantius right
    VIRTVS EXERCITVS, Constantius (soldier) facing holding spear and shield. TCON at exergue
    4,54 gr ; 22,6 mm
    Ref : RIC VII # 252, Ferrando II # 1026 (this coin), Cohen #326, RC #3993v

Q

Draft saved Draft deleted