When will people learn to crimp their staples down?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by stldanceartist, Feb 27, 2015.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Well, I was prepping a group of coins to send off to NGC, and up comes this 1963 Washington Quarter DDO. To me, the obverse screams MS67. I'm wondering if I'll have a Top Pop stunner in a few weeks...

1963 Washington Quarter DDO - Obverse.png

And then I turned it over...

1963 Washington Quarter DDO - Reverse.png

...a darned staple scratch on the Eagle's right (viewer's left) wing. Man, oh man...now what am I to do with this coin?

The lesson of the day, kids...ALWAYS crimp your staples down.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Either crimp the staples (recommended) or stop packing them so darned tight in the 2x2 boxes!

Top priority purchase for me 14 years ago was a "flat" stapler. They don't cost any more than a regular stapler and can be purchased at, Staples.

As for your quarter, it doesn't look all that bad unless I'm misreading the photo. Typically, if the scratch is old enough to have toned over, the TPG's just might not see it as obviously as the micrograder.

4. krispy

krispy krispy

"now what am I to do with this coin?"

Not all coins belong in TPG holders.

5. stldanceartist

Well, Lee, what do you think this would still grade? The scratch is (like you say) old enough that it has toned over with the rest of the reverse.

6. stldanceartist

Yes, but if I plan to sell it and get anything decent, don't you think an MS67 slab would help?

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

still a very nice coin

dwhiz likes this.
  8. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I had that happen to a 1917 Type 1 SLQ may have been a AU58. Now when I take a coin out of a 2X2 I put a little cut the in plastic and push the coin thru.

9. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

+1

10. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I think the disturbances on Washington's neck were gonna keep it out of an MS67 holder anyway. If the DDO is not recognized by the TPG, I would not submit it. If they do recognize the DDO, submit it. I think the coin will grade and between the toning and DDO it should fetch a nice price.

krispy, dwhiz and stldanceartist like this.
  11. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I also just have this happen to me. I purchased an 1874 three cent piece. I have purchased quite a few type coins from this dealer over the passed few years. He had an 1874 three cent piece I had seen at the last show. With out giving it another look see I purchased it. I got home and was going to image it. And found a staple scratch across the bottom of the III . It was not scratched at the last show. I was like "censor!" Unreal because what can you say once you have taken the coin out of the 2x2 . I did say something to him next show. He kind of blew me off. So I have not purchased any other coins from him since. Then the last show he asked me what I was looking for ,my reply was non damaged coins.
    Have not made any other purchases from him for a few months. Not saying I won't again but.... he's lost my business for awhile. And for sure won't buy anything from him unless the coin is removed from the holder and I'm 100% sure before I lay down the bucks.
    What really frosted my cookies is I educated this guy as to the varieties he had in his case that increased his profits 30 %! All because he does not crimp the staples. Maybe he'll learn but until he does there's other dealers who do.

12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It would be interesting to see how a TPG would consider it. Although it may be the photo, I think it is possible the toning was added ( maybe many years ago) to help cover the scratch, but hard to tell from a photo.

13. stldanceartist

The DDO-001 (which I believe this is) is recognized by NGC. There have been 18 so far in MS66, none in MS67...so we should know in about a month (going out today.)

I remember when I bought it (for melt, of course) seeing that scratch and just sighing one of the deepest sighs...but it was still a great deal for the price I paid. I honestly didn't eve notice the DDO until I got home...so I can't really complain, right? Hahaha...

14. stldanceartist

I suppose anything's possible, but it does bear a strong resemblance to a batch of Type B 1957 quarters I had a while back in MS67 holders. Somehow it ended up in a coin shop's rolls of UNC quarters...

15. stldanceartist

Update: verified as the DDO-001 (FS-101) - fingers crossed on a non-details grade haha...

16. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

I use tape on 2X2's now

Draft saved Draft deleted