When will happy days be here again?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by hotwheelsearl, Mar 14, 2020.

1. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

With all the insanity surrounding the virus, when will felicium temporum reparatio?

Constans brought them back, and also brought back a large-sized bronze coin in an attempt to bolster the economy, which was suffering from a blight of tiny coins that were a far cry from the big bronzes of the past.

Constans AE Centonionalis, 348-350 AD (RIC VIII 118)
    OBV: DN CONSTANS PF AVG. Diademed and cuirassed bust left, holding globe.
    REV: FEL TEMP REPARATIO. Soldier dragging captive from hut
    Cost: $15.22
    IMG_4342.jpg

Post your happy days coins!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That's a nice example of the barbarian and hut type, @hotwheelsearl . A lot of people collect the falling horseman type of FEL TEMP REPARATIO coins, but my favorite is the phoenix on mound of rocks type:

[​IMG]
    Constantius II, AD 337-361.
    Roman Æ 3 (1/4 maiorina?), 2.36 g, 18.7 mm, 11 h.
    Siscia, AD 348-49, fifth officina.
    Obv: D N CONSTAN-TIVS P F AVG, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: FEL TEMP REPARATIO, Phoenix, nimbate, standing right on mound of rocks; ЄSIS(symbol 5) in exergue.
    Refs: RIC viii p. 366, 240; LRBC II 1133; RCV 18250; Cohen 58.

4. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

I have often wondered what the contemporary people of the Roman Empire thought about the fel temp legend. From the comfort of 1600+ years it would seem to be quite ironic, but did they think so?
    46921q00.jpg
    Constantius II Billon light maiorina, 348 - 15 Mar 351 A.D., Alexandria mint. 4.249g, 20.4mm,
    Obv: D N CONSTANTIVS P F AVG, pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust left, globe in right;
    Rev: FEL TEMP REPARATIO (happy times restored), emperor stands left, labarum (chi rho banner) in right, resting left on shield, two captives before him, ALEB in exergue.
    RIC VIII Alexandria 54

5. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I just posted one yesterday, so I won't on this thread. By the way Constantius walked around with a baseball cap that said FTR on it.

Theodosius likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted