When we mention UPGRADE. What

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Cheech9712, Apr 15, 2024.

1. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

image.jpg What is an upgraded coin etc.. Same year same coin (1916d merc.). or different metals or older (same type). Or younger period. Or your ideas. Humor me

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

To me upgrade means better condition of the same coin.

Cheech9712, -jeffB, wxcoin and 3 others like this.
  4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hmm? What gives with the scratch tickets? Did you win at least? biggrin.gif

Cheech9712 likes this.
  5. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I just "upgraded" the 1886 T2 in my IHC registry set from MS63 to MS64RB.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Same type, series, date and mint - but in a higher grade than the one you already own.

Unless you're a TPG of course. Then it's the exact same coin put into a new slab with a higher grade printed on the label. ;)

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I guess for a type set you could "upgrade" to a rarer date/mint, but even then, "upgrade" really makes me think of a grade improvement first.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Jack Daniels is a good entry point. Blanton's is an upgrade.

dimeguy, charley, PlanoSteve and 3 others like this.
  9. Cheech9712

5 bucks

Kentucky and SensibleSal66 like this.
  10. Cheech9712

11. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

If I had an AU58 1960 Quarter...

Then had the opportunity to swap it out with an AU55 1960 Quarter that Elvis Presley was documented to have swallowed and pooped out at some point....

I would consider the swap out to be an upgrade ;)

Tall Paul and PlanoSteve like this.
  12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Lord Almighty!

13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Upgrade is having a coin, any coin, any mint mark. Taking the same coin snd mint mark but at a higher grade is an upgrade. You could upgrade a F-12 coin to a F-15 or higher.

SensibleSal66 and Cheech9712 like this.
  14. Cheech9712

Wouldn’t get an Au55 grade cuz it’s cleaned. @-jeffB

15. charley

charley Well-Known Member

This is a silly quest and sillier replies.

I, and of course it is well known that I know stuff, have decided that I will settle this question:

The answer is embedded in the OP, via the words "...or younger period.." (and this was a simple error of not using one of these (.), which yields the answer- "...or younger. Period.".

Thus, upgrading HER has been a 54 year quest of mine, and I can not seem to find a younger version that is willing to clean the toilets and the bathtub everyday, vacuum the entire house everyday, cut the lawn using my non-motorized push mower twice a week Spring and Summer and Fall (I am not spending any Wampum for the motorized version and then have to buy more stuff like filters and spark plugs and gas), and physically fit and can properly shovel snow regardless of depth, and does not snore or move around when sleeping in the same bed with me (which I do my best to encourage HER to seek alternative resting locations and to help, I put a blanket in carport).

So, I keep searching for an Upgrade.

It is challenging.

16. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Did you know at the lottery website you can find out what tickets have been bought and won in a series?
    Might help with the win rate...
    An Upgrade is just that, a step up in grade.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  17. SensibleSal66

That's how I pick my tickets when I do buy them. No sense buying tickets to a game that has few or no big prizes left. wink.png

Cheech9712 and rte like this.
  18. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I have 90% of what you said so I’m not looking to upgrade. I’m happy with what I have. Smiles

masterswimmer and charley like this.
  19. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Doesn't have to be a higher grade to be an upgrade. It just has to be "better".

That could mean same grade but an improvement on eye appeal. That could mean same grade but a better designation or pedigree.

It could even be an upgrade going to a lower grade. We all know there are many coins out there where you could replace a real dog of an MS60 with a really nice technical AU58 and have it be a significant upgrade.

I've certainly declined to "upgrade" some of the coins in my collection because my example had superior eye appeal over a technically higher graded example. I've also got many coins in my collection where I've upgraded the slot for a registry set but I still keep a lower graded example because it's the better coin.

Mr. Numismatist and Cheech9712 like this.
  20. Mr. Numismatist

Mr. Numismatist Strawberry Token Enthusiast

Yes, an upgrade doesn't always mean a higher grade number. I still have yet to find a type set large cent I like better than my "lowly VG 1850".

I like chocolate... :hungry:

1850 USA 1 cent.png

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  21. SensibleSal66

Okay. Chocolate is good... biggrin.gif

Mr. Numismatist likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted