When to start searching for W quarter?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by tmansell415, Aug 23, 2019.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm only doing 2 halves 2 quarters and 2 cents. Nothing major. Not trying to piss them off.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Is Vystar a credit union?
    I've had pretty bad luck getting coins from a credit union, they don't want to do it, any credit union I've tried. They have the coin counting machine, and they have no issue taking coins with no fees for members, but when it comes to ordering they don't want to do it.
    I've been tempted to ask for a bag of pennies or nickels out of their coin machine when the bag is full, but I haven't tried it yet to see what happens.

From what I know talking to people at the credit union, they take those bags of coins and send them with their armored carrier to count and roll, and that they make a percentage off of non-members, but otherwise its a free service for members. They order change for their business account holders, but won't do it for regular account holders without a fee unless it's just a couple roils here or there.

I think you might be able to buy a bag off their counting machine, but where do you dump them after you are done because they won't want you dumping there again if they let you buy filled bags from the machine. Ideally you need another place not that credit union with a free coin counter....

4. Brina

Brina Well-Known Member

Has a value been placed on these W quarters?

Seems fewer and fewer banks are getting new mint rolls. My bank doesn't and my mum's bank doesn't either :( :(

5. NAD

NAD New Member

This thread is totally off message. Original message was about W minted quarters (without completely explaining what that is) to bank fees for getting coin roles from them. How did we get to that? We all know banks are in the business of being mercenary. I’d like to know more about the “w” quarter.

6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Search the forum here. There are plenty of threads about it. If that fails, google is your friend.

7. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

W stands for "why why why is the mint making this crap?"

Kentucky, furryfrog02 and LakeEffect like this.
  8. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

I found an AMP (Marina) in change (mentioned in another string "strangest coin you've received in change"). Purchased a WTP (Guam) off eBay. The end coin in a bank roll and the son of a friend found a Lowell in change at summer camp in Florida that he's sending me. And no not for $0.25, it is costing me much more.
    Read somewhere in another thread last week, that two San Antonio's were discovered and graded by PCGS, before the official release date of 8/26/2019 with a special label for being pre-released. Some controversy and conspiracy theory that it was staged. They represent a whopping population of "2".

In the hunt, many of the banks I've visited simply won't sell me rolls unless I have an account. My bank sent a memo to all their branch's not to order boxes from the treasury for customers as the non-W quarters are coming back by the 1000's for re-rolling and it's putting too much demand on their machines. Makes you wonder what the Bank does today except collect fees.

All that said, I would suggest the earlier you start looking the better. A very short time in circulation makes AU the most likely condition or grade. Still it will be nice to have all 5 quarters from West Point.

9. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

...aaand let the search begin :p

04.gif

Collecting Nut and Brina like this.
  10. John Burgess

So what do you want to know? The mint this year minted a total of 10 million state park quarters with a W mint mark at the West Point Mint. They minted 2 million of each of the 5 designs released this year. Those W quarters were distributed in new rolls starting with the American Memorial Park P and D mint mark quarter release. People are looking for them.

The OPs question was "when to start looking for the latest design". That question was answered early on and it's gone off on a tangent slightly but it's still on topic since when to look is just a part of the hunt, banks being difficult is yet another.

Now, do you have a specific question about the W quarters you'd like answered that relates to W quarter hunting?

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I think you found Beaker!

juris klavins likes this.
  12. John Burgess

HI Brina, older raw, ungraded W mintmark coins are selling on Ebay for $10-$15 each. The newset releases can get towards $100 each in the first week but drop off as more and more are founder and put up for sale. I'd say they all eventually settle around $8-$10 raw, ungraded when theyve all been released and had some time.

As far as graded examples seems like MS65 is selling around $30-40 each. MS66 $45-$70 MS67 $80-$150. I don't think they will stay like that though as more are graded and available they will likely get cheaper.
    Time will tell on that.

Banks do get them but they don't have an option to request them anymore. That ended with the state quarters. They have to take what the armored carriers deliver now with the state parks. They can't request the new design like they used to be able to is all it is. It's random what is delivered to the banks by the armored carriers.

Brina likes this.
  13. Brina

Brina Well-Known Member

TY of the 411 :) :)

14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

you funny guy...

15. tmansell415

tmansell415 New Member

good news, found 1 AMP W quarter today in a box! no san antonio missions quarters though :/

16. John Burgess

Congrats tmansell415. I managed 1 W American Meomorial Park out of 60 rolls of circulated/customer wrapped also so far this week, a half dozen mixed foreigns mostly caribbean coins, and a nice 2018 voyageurs rim cud on the obverse.

17. steve63

steve63 Active Member

I think the W's are peaking in my area right now I've found 3 just in the past 2 weeks.

18. Andrew Blum

Andrew Blum Circulated Fan

I received my first W (an AMP) in a Brinks roll of mixed circulated.

19. John Burgess

Congrats Steve63 and Andrew Blum!

Ws for the win!

20. Blaydr382

Blaydr382 Active Member

Here is mine.... 20190901_173648.jpg 20190901_173705.jpg

John Burgess likes this.
  21. Blaydr382

Blaydr382 Active Member

I think everybody should post pics of their W quarters.

Draft saved Draft deleted