When to start kids in collecting

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mr. Coin, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Mr. Coin

Mr. Coin Member

I have a crazy son about to turn three. He will one day inherit my collection, already a third generation coin collection. Needless to say, he has to be a coin collector. He's clearly on the young side. How early have others gotten their children interested in collecting? I have a boat load of wheat cents for him to look through as a starting point.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I tried with both of my siblings (of course, they won't inherit my collection, but I was trying to get family interested). With my brother, I started when he was 8-9. He thought things were cool, but lost interest. I started with my sister a little bit earlier, more like 6 or so. She enjoyed going to the small local show with me, and has been working on a Merc set. She's lost a bit of interest in college, since she's far away and has no income yet. However, she still wants to see my newest pieces whenever she comes home.

I'm convinced its not so much the age, but rather the approach. Kids of that age (3 might be a little young, but he'll be ready soon) don't care so much about the objects - they're just shiny round things. What they care about is spending time with you. Develop a relationship with them, show them what you enjoy, and they'll come to cherish the time they spend collecting with you. Once they are old enough to understand what these things are, and why you like them, they will start to appreciate the things as well. Instill in them a love of the hobby, sure - but the hobby is really secondary.

Also, not everyone is cut out to be a collector. Don't put pressure on them, that they have to like coins just because you do. If they grow up enjoying coins with you, great - but if they grow up not liking coins, that's ok, too.

Vess1 and BigTee44 like this.
  4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I think probably around 5-6 is the youngest age collecting coins would get interesting. Before that age, collect other things to set the stage. I like foreign coins to start with, cheap, interesting and attractive.

5. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

I'd agree with 5-6 being a reasonable age to start. Around that point I'd assume a youngster is able to grasp the concept of how old something is and that something is special because of its age. I know this from personal experience as I was around 6 when I found my 1941 wheat penny, my avatar picture. I was so excited to find something that amazingly old (well, for a 6 year old at least!) in circulation.

I guess I should shut up now since that cent was 61 years old when I found it and some of y'all are older than that... :)

6. Patrick King

Patrick King Well-Known Member

To answer the question "when to start kids collecting" my answer would have to be whenever they want to collect. You cant force your son to collect, or even appreciate coins, he will have to make that decision for himself. All you can do is educate him about coins if he shows interest.

Dean 295 likes this.
  7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

And even if they have interest for awhile and then it fades away, for a significant percentage of them they will return to the hobby later in life. Exposure is what is important, and don't try and force them. Forcing them tends to make it a turn off and can actually drive them away. Unfortunately I really believe though that collectors are born not made. If they have that "thing" as part of their makeup exposure will do it. If they don't, nothing you can do will give them a lasting interest.

8. ArthurK11

ArthurK11 Active Member

When they're old enough to know its a bad idea to spend that Franklin half dollar on a bag of chips.

9. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

Well, I was 12 when I started collecting coins, but, as Conder101 says, being a Collector was in me naturally. When I started coin collecting I already had an ogoing collection of matchbox/hot wheels, 1:18 scale model cars, and basketball cards. When I found coin collecting, I dropped the card collecting when I realized the minimum intrinsic value of coins versus paper cards.

My boys (6, 7 & 8) are all somewhat interested, but my 7 year old is the most interested and will likely be the one to be the true coin collector. He's already asking to have my collection passed down to him.

So, I think 6-7 is a good age range to include an interested child.

Kentucky likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

My dad got me interested at an early age, about 3 or 4. He was not an avid collector but he wanted to spent time with me as I did with him. He was gone all day and tired when he got home. He bought me a Whitman's Penny Album starting with Memorial Cents. I was able to pull them from change and plug a hole. It was fun and it has stuck with me. Best wishes for some good father and son time. :)

Kentucky likes this.
  11. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I actually became a collector around 6 or 7. My brother and I got to search grandma's pennies for wheat cents. Then my father got involved bought us some Whitman albums and the three of us worked on it. From about the time I was 12 to 20, all I did was search change to work on the albums. My brother lost interest - we were also doing baseball cards. Anyway around 2000 my father gave me the albums and eventually I transferred and finished the album with key dates. I think conder101 and physics-fan stated it best. Don't try to force it and there is really no rush - plenty of time for encouragement to join the hobby.

12. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I would say taping a coin to your wife's pregnant belly for the duration of the pregnancy is about the earliest :cool:

13. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

My son started getting interested my my coins at about 3 and a half. I let him sort through all my extra world coins and asked him to pick out things like starfish and horses etc...He is pretty much hooked at this point :)
    My next kid is due in April and I plan on getting them started as early as possible :)

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

What is the right age ? Depends on the kid. You can't "make" anybody have an interest in anything. They either do or they don't. My approach has always been, with children and adults alike, to expose them to the coins, allow them to see your interest, and then explain a few things as to why you have that interest. And you may have to do this a few times.

If the person, child or adult, has any interest once that has occurred then they will come to you expressing that interest. If that happens then you know the interest is there and can cultivate it. You can do that quite simply, just getting your coins out and looking at them where there can see you doing so is usually enough. If they join you at the table then you know all you need to know.

Cascade likes this.
  15. HKUP

HKUP Member

I think as soon as they can download a numismatic app on their Leapfrog tablet.

Cascade and Kentucky like this.
  16. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

My started my Grandson at age four. It was a big puzzle to him at first, matching the date and mint to the Whitman folder. At six years old I bought him a YN membership in MSNS so he received a membership card and the quarterly magazine in the mail. Recently we were on the cover of the MichMatist magazine. About once a month or so I plan a penny search session with him that he enjoys. He has moved to a Lincoln Dansco album recently and visits my local club show with me.

If he maintains an interest he will end up with my cent collections.

[​IMG]

17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Be careful about turning your back on him... : - )

Mr. Flute likes this.
  18. BATTERup646

BATTERup646 Active Member

I gained an interest when i was eight and my grandpa died. He left me his silver dollars. I carried them everywhere and really loved them. I have a story somewhere, but i don't want to take too much space. I lost them and started with state quarters last year when i was twelve. Found the silver dollars and drachma on June 22nd this year. So i kinda got an interest when i was eight. Maybe that's a good year?

When i die, I'd give them to my son, and tell him to never sell them.

-John

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    Kentucky likes this.
  19. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Looking to donate a lot of 40+ common world coins from 1965-2000 to any kids' coin club or interested young numismatist - interesting mix of Europe, South America and Caribbean + 2 tokens (NYC transit and Nik-O-Lok) - free to a good home, will pay shipping within USA - any suggestions for a worthy recipient?

20. BATTERup646

You know when you look back at your posts, and you see something you really wish you hadn't post'? Yep.

21. BATTERup646

*Sorry, i accidentally reposted*

Draft saved Draft deleted